GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192206-onions.html)

No Name 17-06-2010 12:30 PM

Onions

Can someone advise on how to stop onions going to seed, please?
Am I right in thinking that with most plants it's a lack of water that
triggers this, but in onions it's too much? Or have I just made that up?

Apparently I don't know my onions. :-(

David in Normandy[_8_] 17-06-2010 03:00 PM

Onions

On 17/06/2010 13:30, wrote:
Can someone advise on how to stop onions going to seed, please?
Am I right in thinking that with most plants it's a lack of water that
triggers this, but in onions it's too much? Or have I just made that up?

Apparently I don't know my onions. :-(

I thought the underlying cause was stress. The plant thinks it may die
(due to lack of water usually) so runs to seed.

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.

No Name 17-06-2010 10:41 PM

Onions

David in Normandy wrote:
Can someone advise on how to stop onions going to seed, please?
Am I right in thinking that with most plants it's a lack of water that
triggers this, but in onions it's too much? Or have I just made that up?

I thought the underlying cause was stress. The plant thinks it may die
(due to lack of water usually) so runs to seed.

Well, yes, but I was under the impression that /typically/ this was caused
by either too much or too little water.

Maybe I just need to sing to them more. :-(

Although now they're not under 4' of weeds they may do better.