GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aubergines (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192375-aubergines.html)

dido22 28-06-2010 12:09 PM

Aubergines

Hello,

I'm growing an aubergine plant in my gh & it seems to be doing quite well.
It has become very dense (leafy) , should I cut some off & if so how many ?

Thanks
KK

No Name 28-06-2010 01:44 PM

Aubergines

dido22 wrote:
I'm growing an aubergine plant in my gh & it seems to be doing quite well.
It has become very dense (leafy) , should I cut some off & if so how many ?

I've never trimmed leaves off mine, and we got quite a reasonable crop last
year. I suppose it may depend on what you mean by very dense. But surely
the more leaf it has, the more energy it will absorb to produce fruit?

Last year I accidentally took the top off too early, and that seemed to
increase fruiting significantly, but I've been told I have to be more
careful this year.

Noticed our first flower this weekend!

dido22 29-06-2010 12:07 PM

Aubergines

Thanks for that

Do you grow yours in a gh ? Will they work outdoors ?

?

No Name 29-06-2010 03:30 PM

Aubergines

dido22 wrote:
Do you grow yours in a gh ? Will they work outdoors ?

I've only ever grown peppers and aubergines and most of my tomatoes in the
greenhouse. I probably /could/ grow them outside given how hot my garden
gets, especially on the south facing wall, but I find the greenhouse helps
stop things drying out so much, even on the hot days.

Incidentally - I've only ever had success from plants that have been bought
as small plants, not from seed. Although this year after declaring all my
seeds had prodcued only runts, I do have a handful of semi-decent sized
plants now!