GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Old clematis (again) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192400-old-clematis-again.html)

Another John 29-06-2010 11:23 PM

Old clematis (again)

Recently Jill B asked about pruning an old clematis. I have another
question:

We have a clematis about 20 years old growing up our extension: enormous
it is, though not as pretty as Jill's. I hack it back every year with
the hedgetrimmers, but: what about the roots? It's rooted right beside
the foundations, and I sometimes wonder what's going on down there.
Some of the stems (trunks) must be about 4" across last time I looked:
should I dispose of this one, and plant a new one?

John

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 30-06-2010 12:18 PM

Old clematis (again)

In article lalaw44-C670C9.23235729062010@surfnet-
nl.ipv4.ptr.145.109.196.x.invalid, says...
Recently Jill B asked about pruning an old clematis. I have another
question:

We have a clematis about 20 years old growing up our extension: enormous
it is, though not as pretty as Jill's. I hack it back every year with
the hedgetrimmers, but: what about the roots? It's rooted right beside
the foundations, and I sometimes wonder what's going on down there.
Some of the stems (trunks) must be about 4" across last time I looked:
should I dispose of this one, and plant a new one?

John

Its fine, it will not damage your house but if its a montana type
(flowers may/june) then try and do your worst immediately it finishes
flowering so it can make some new growth to flower on the next year
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk