Old 30-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Jessi

Default foxgloves

Hello everyone. I happen to be one of those people who lurk around this
group and soak in the good advise but never post. Probably because I'm from
northwest Washington and not the UK, but I know there is much to learn here.

I posted a question on rec.gardens that no one has been able to answer so
far. Do foxgloves transplant well? They are popping up all over my property
and I'd love to have them around my house (and save them from the
lawnmower). Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Jessi

Old 30-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Jessi

Well how about that? As soon as I fire off this message, someone finally
answered me! Thanks again.

Old 30-04-2003, 07:32 AM
JennyC

"Jessi" wrote in message
Hello everyone. I happen to be one of those people who lurk around

this
group and soak in the good advise but never post. Probably because

I'm from
northwest Washington and not the UK, but I know there is much to

learn here.

I posted a question on rec.gardens that no one has been able to

answer so
far. Do foxgloves transplant well?

Yes :~))

They are popping up all over my property
and I'd love to have them around my house (and save them from the
lawnmower). Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jessi

Mine tend to self seed all over the place and I dig them up and plant
them wherever I feel they will look good :~)
Jenny

Old 30-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Rick McGreal

"Jessi" wrote in
:

Hello everyone. I happen to be one of those people who lurk around
this group and soak in the good advise but never post. Probably
because I'm from northwest Washington and not the UK, but I know there
is much to learn here.

I posted a question on rec.gardens that no one has been able to answer
so far. Do foxgloves transplant well? They are popping up all over my
property and I'd love to have them around my house (and save them from
the lawnmower). Any advise you could give would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

When I moved into this new house I have transplanted 4 to pots until I have
my garden all newatened up....
They are all doing well....In fact I would say that they are doing better
as they are not competeing with weeds for groundspace!

Just be careful when you handle them and they should be fine....

Old 30-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

It was a dark and stormy night, and as the people of uk.rec.gardening
huddled around the fire, Jessi told them this story:

Hello everyone. I happen to be one of those people who lurk around this
group and soak in the good advise but never post. Probably because I'm from
northwest Washington and not the UK, but I know there is much to learn here.

I posted a question on rec.gardens that no one has been able to answer so
far. Do foxgloves transplant well? They are popping up all over my property
and I'd love to have them around my house (and save them from the
lawnmower). Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've found them pretty much impossible to kill, even at
quite a large size (though they're easiest to transplant
when they're babies). I raised the level of a bed earlier
this year. The only thing in it was a year-old foxglove. I
just lifted it up with a fork, dumped the soil and compost
underneath, and replaced it. A couple of the outermost
leaves died, but otherwise it didn't even notice, and now
it's doing fine.

Rhiannon

Old 30-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Jessi

Thanks for all the advise, everyone. I got more information than I expected!
This weekend, I'll be out in the yard digging up all those lovely foxgloves!
Thanks!

Old 30-04-2003, 08:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Yes they do, I have transplanted some from the allotment but of course it is
better when they are not so advanced as now. If you get a decent clump of
earth with it, should be alright though with a good watering , even now

Old 30-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Jessi" contains these words:

Hello everyone. I happen to be one of those people who lurk around this
group and soak in the good advise but never post. Probably because I'm from
northwest Washington and not the UK, but I know there is much to learn here.

I posted a question on rec.gardens that no one has been able to answer so
far. Do foxgloves transplant well?

Small ones transplant very easily, in the UK. I used to pull them out
of the gravel drive by the dozen and replant them in the wood, when the
leaves are about 3 " long.

Larger clumps can transplant if you water well, but they only make very
short flower spikes..okay if you just want to get more seed.

Another way to get a colony of plants, is to collect ripe seed from
your plants and scatter it right away wherever you want foxgloves.

Janet.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jessi
writes
Yes, I am speaking of Digitalis purpurea and I know they're biennial. I did
take the seeds from pods and scattered them in all nooks and crannies of my
property last fall.... all except my flower beds. To my good fortune, I can
expect to see foxgloves every year because I live in the mountains. I
figured if I transplant some of them in bloom I won't have to wait another
year. I'm trying to acquire that cottage garden effect this summer. ;-)

I have to give it a try! I already have a spot picked out for them, I think
they'll look gorgeous with my fireweed, lupines, and delphiniums. Thanks
again!

Fireweed?
Not Epilobium?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Jessi

Yes, Epilobium. Or Rosebay Willowherb. We call it Fireweed in my neck of the
woods. I guess it grows where there has been a fire. Bikers used to live on
the property before me, hosting loud parties with huge bonfires! So I guess
I can attribute its growth to them. Most people consider it a weed, but I
love the look of it.

-Jessi

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Fireweed?
Not Epilobium?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 01-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Jessi

Indeed, I wish it was invasive enough to hide blackberries. Know of any
plant strong enough to choke them out?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Much the same over here!
It is horribly invasive!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Question about foxgloves Georgia Gardening 1 26-05-2003 12:32 AM
Foxgloves question GrampysGurl Gardening 1 02-05-2003 11:44 PM
foxgloves again animaux Gardening 0 30-04-2003 12:08 AM
foxgloves Jessica Gardening 6 15-04-2003 07:44 PM
foxgloves, another question Jessica Gardening 0 08-04-2003 10:08 PM