GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hollyhocks oddity (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192472-hollyhocks-oddity.html)

mark 03-07-2010 03:16 PM

Hollyhocks oddity

My hollyhocks have just started blooming.
On one, it has very dark red flowers, almost black. Yet on the same stem and
next to the 'black' flowers are pale pink blooms.
Is this a common phenomena or have I stumbled upon a get rich quick variant?

mark

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-07-2010 03:29 PM

Hollyhocks oddity

In message , mark
writes
My hollyhocks have just started blooming.
On one, it has very dark red flowers, almost black. Yet on the same stem and
next to the 'black' flowers are pale pink blooms.
Is this a common phenomena or have I stumbled upon a get rich quick variant?

mark

"Black" hollyhocks (f. nigra) are reasonably well known. What you
probably have is a sectoral chimaera - the cell ancestral to part of the
plant mutated, disabling the gene responsible for pigment production,
resulting in paler blooms.

Even if you could propagate hollyhocks vegetatively, sectoral chimaeras
are unstable, as I found when trying to propagate a variegated sport of
Lavatera 'Barnsley'. They don't come true from seed - if you collected
seed you'd get a black-flowered and pink-flowered plants, but not one
with mixed flowers.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

mark 03-07-2010 03:58 PM

Hollyhocks oddity

In message , mark
writes
[...]

Thanks Stewart. I'll not give up me paper round just yet.

mark

Janet Tweedy 04-07-2010 12:18 PM

Hollyhocks oddity

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Even if you could propagate hollyhocks vegetatively, sectoral chimaeras
are unstable, as I found when trying to propagate a variegated sport of
Lavatera 'Barnsley'. They don't come true from seed - if you collected
seed you'd get a black-flowered and pink-flowered plants, but not one
with mixed flowers.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I was told some time ago that with variegated plants you can get the
variegation reversed by taking root rather than stem cuttings. I think
it was Aubrey thingy from Hopleys who told us that.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph