GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Echium pininiana question... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192496-echium-pininiana-question.html)

Les Hemmings[_4_] 04-07-2010 03:36 PM

Echium pininiana question...

http://web.guernsey.net/~cdavid/bota...ana/index.html

I did have three of these ready to flower this summer until the snow & ice
killed two of them last winter. The last one is now in full flower and
looking magnificent!

But I'm wondering if the seeds will be viable? Are they self fertile without
another plant to fertilise them?

Les

echinosum 05-07-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Hemmings[_4_] (Post 893117)
Echium pininiana, Giant Echium

I did have three of these ready to flower this summer until the snow & ice
killed two of them last winter. The last one is now in full flower and
looking magnificent!

But I'm wondering if the seeds will be viable? Are they self fertile without
another plant to fertilise them?

Les

Self-fertile. You'll have thousands of the things.