GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Prunus subhirtella "Siberian Cherry" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192579-prunus-subhirtella-siberian-cherry.html)

Michael Bell 08-07-2010 09:47 AM

Prunus subhirtella "Siberian Cherry"

When I lived in Hitchin, I planted a "Siberian Cherry". It was a
grafted tree. It was lovely, it grew, rather slowly, to 20ft high and
flowered profusely right through the winter. A real joy.

Now I live in Newcastle, once again I planted a "Siberian Cherry". It
has done much less well, in 4 years it has only grown 2 ft and it has
2 or 3 flowers at a time. A real disappointment.

The tree that I have now is obviously a loser and I am going to pull
it up. What should I do to replace it?

I could go to the new owner of my old house and ask for cuttings.
I could go to a supplier recommended by one of you.

Michael Bell

kay 08-07-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bell (Post 893457)
When I lived in Hitchin, I planted a "Siberian Cherry". It was a
grafted tree. It was lovely, it grew, rather slowly, to 20ft high and
flowered profusely right through the winter. A real joy.

Now I live in Newcastle, once again I planted a "Siberian Cherry". It
has done much less well, in 4 years it has only grown 2 ft and it has
2 or 3 flowers at a time. A real disappointment.

The tree that I have now is obviously a loser and I am going to pull
it up. What should I do to replace it?

I could go to the new owner of my old house and ask for cuttings.
I could go to a supplier recommended by one of you.

Michael Bell

--

You could try buying during the winter, when you could compare the relative amounts of blossom.

I have two, one of which flowers more profusely than the other. Although neither has grown very fast - it could just be the northern climate.

Michael Bell 09-07-2010 06:24 AM

Prunus subhirtella "Siberian Cherry"

In message
kay wrote:

Michael Bell;893457 Wrote:
[...]

You would expect a SIBERIAN cherry to grow well far north of
Newcastle. But actually, I don't want very great growth, it's a small
garden. This idea involves going to a supplier rather than ordering
one from a distance. I'll think about it.

Michael Bell