GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need a plant suggestion for shady spot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192606-need-plant-suggestion-shady-spot.html)

wasted 09-07-2010 05:56 PM

Need a plant suggestion for shady spot

Greetings

In UK I have a south facing garden, but one corner is in almost perpetual
shade because of overhanging trees in neighbours gardens.

It's also a spot that calls for something striking.

I've pictured red dogwood, but gather that needs good sun.

Is there anything else that has red stems that can cope with mainly shade -
or does anyone know how red dogwood actually does in shade.

Many thanks

JP

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5265 (20100709) __________

http://www.eset.com

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 10-07-2010 10:00 AM

Need a plant suggestion for shady spot

In article ,
says...
Greetings

In UK I have a south facing garden, but one corner is in almost perpetual
shade because of overhanging trees in neighbours gardens.

It's also a spot that calls for something striking.

I've pictured red dogwood, but gather that needs good sun.

Is there anything else that has red stems that can cope with mainly shade -
or does anyone know how red dogwood actually does in shade.

Many thanks

JP

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5265 (20100709) __________

http://www.eset.com

Try growing Parthenocissus henryana on a frame or structure, its one of
the few plants that actually looks better in shade than sun, its a
climber really but will cloth any structure so can look like a shrub
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk