Old 13-07-2010, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strange Hedgey Smog Behaviour

Hi all

We appear to have hedgehogs resident in our garden - probably living under
the shed.
On Sunday, a baby version was seen on the back yard with loads of oohs and
aahs from different members of the family.
Unfortunately, on closer inspection, said infant was discovered not to have
a "front end" so-to-speak!

Yesterday evening, there were two adults (I think) sort of nudging each
other round the back garden.

This morning I saw an adult with a baby near the shed sort of nuzzling in
the undergrowth.
Next minute, the adult had picked up the youngster in its mouth and was
heading for the shrubbery.

Numerous times recently, an adult has been seen wandering around the garden
in broad daylight (although usually at either end of the day).

Can someone please comment on whether this is all normal?
Do hedgehogs carry young in teeth, or do rivals eat others' young?
Was the nudging a court-ship or a face-off between rival adults?

Any informed opinion appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Old 13-07-2010, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote
[...]

All I'll say is if they were facing off the noise would be amazing, you
would think you have two full sized porkers in the garden.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-07-2010, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

I think Hedgehogs have more than one litter so the nudging could be what
passes for a hot date!

A female with young is both bold and aggressive and a year or two back
ours terrorised the dog, chasing it off and would try the same to us,
also coming into the house and stealing the dogs food out of the bowl.
plus we would see it reguarly all through the day.

Baby hedgehogs are prey to all sorts of disasters and few make it through
their first winter
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-07-2010, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

I think Hedgehogs have more than one litter so the nudging could be what
passes for a hot date!

A female with young is both bold and aggressive and a year or two back
ours terrorised the dog, chasing it off and would try the same to us,
also coming into the house and stealing the dogs food out of the bowl.
plus we would see it reguarly all through the day.

Baby hedgehogs are prey to all sorts of disasters and few make it through
their first winter
--

Thanks Bob and Charlie

I do like to see birds and animals in the garden (the live ones that is) -
very theraputic watching them.
The slow speed I've seen the hedgehogs moving around, they obviously haven't
been chasing anything though!

Phil

Strange orchid behaviour? Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 22 26-09-2013 10:26 AM
Strange pigeon behaviour Sacha[_10_] United Kingdom 24 03-06-2013 03:58 PM
Strange Lilly Behaviour Paul Ponds 5 28-07-2005 03:56 PM
Euphorbia Wulfenii. Strange flower behaviour! viv United Kingdom 0 09-02-2005 02:17 PM
Strange goldfish behaviour Weldon Wallick Ponds 2 20-08-2003 10:12 PM