Old 14-07-2010, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any Chance for Spuds

Hi all

We have been digging our 2nd early Kestrels and, probably due to the
drought, the yield is poor.
Now we are getting some rain, will the remaining plants increase their
number and size of tubers or is it too late?
They are just at the lost flowers stage.
The same question also applies to our Maris Piper main crop. They are just
flowering and we will probably start digging these in a month or so.
Will their yield catch up, or is the damage done?

TIA

Phil

Old 15-07-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 July, 12:22, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

We have been digging our 2nd early Kestrels and, probably due to the
drought, the yield is poor.
Now we are getting some rain, will the remaining plants increase their
number and size of tubers or is it too late?
They are just at the lost flowers stage.
The same question also applies to our Maris Piper main crop. *They are just
flowering and we will probably start digging these in a month or so.
Will their yield catch up, or is the damage done?

TIA

Phil

If it rains after a drought the danger is that the tubers split or
become hollow. Some varieties are more susceptable than other. Don't
worry about the Kestrels, they are a poor variety, no taste. :-)
You need to irrigate to keep the tubers expanding in drought
conditions.
This BTW applies to all root crops carrots, beetroot etc. They all
can split.
Old 15-07-2010, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On Jul 14, 12:22*pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

We have been digging our 2nd early Kestrels and, probably due to the
drought, the yield is poor.
Now we are getting some rain, will the remaining plants increase their
number and size of tubers or is it too late?
They are just at the lost flowers stage.
The same question also applies to our Maris Piper main crop. *They are just
flowering and we will probably start digging these in a month or so.
Will their yield catch up, or is the damage done?

TIA

Phil

In my experience Kestrel isn't a huge cropper anyway and you've
probably got all you're going to get from that. The maincrops should
be OK so long as they continue to get water.
They've probably got quite a lot of bulking up still to do.

Rod
Old 16-07-2010, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote

In my experience Kestrel isn't a huge cropper anyway and you've
probably got all you're going to get from that. The maincrops should
be OK so long as they continue to get water.
They've probably got quite a lot of bulking up still to do.

Rod

Thanks to Harry and Rod

Agreed, the Kestrel isn't a huge cropper, but the first plant or two lifted
were well down on last year.
We like this variety boiled as a salad potato, but again the flavour and
texture are not as good this year.
They were bought initially for their slug and pest resistance which has
proved successful compared to previous trials with other early varieties.

Phil

Old 16-07-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
If it rains after a drought the danger is that the tubers split or
become hollow. Some varieties are more susceptable than other. Don't
worry about the Kestrels, they are a poor variety, no taste. :-)

Ooh, heathen! Kestrels are one of my favourites! (And they look really
pretty, good showing specimens)