Old 22-07-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:11:39 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Raid insect spray during the day, no biting insect at night.
Old 22-07-2010, 05:35 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:04:05 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

Would fleas or bed bugs not tend to bite with a lot more smaller bites?

Your desciption sounds like a mozzie bite. I believe a bed bug bite
is a pair of red marks and they tend to be multiple bites forming a
track. Flea bits are just single red mark that can be itchy.

Whats wrong with a quick squirt of domestic fly killer?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 22-07-2010, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"john hamilton" wrote ...
we get just the one or possibly two bites between us, per night. The are
very itchy and swell into a red blob. The remain itchy for two or three
days. That seems just like a mosquito bite to me. Would fleas or bed bugs
not tend to bite with a lot more smaller bites?

IME flea bites are quite small and itch and last for a few days, mosquito
bites are a larger red lump and itch and last for a couple of days.
Thankfully I have no experience of bed bugs (despite travelling to some
strange places in this world).
Get one of those electronic mosquito killers you put the tablets in (the
sort you take abroad) and see if that stops the problem.

This is the sort of thing I meant....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

There are a number of similar machines out there.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-07-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:22:11 +0100, Vortex7 wrote:

Olde fashioned flypaper's, do they still exist?...

Flypaper's what?

Get em from Robert Dyas (or indeed probably lots of other places).

Whoooooossssssshhhhhhhhh!!!1!!!!11!!!1!

Old 22-07-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Vortex7
ernibles.com scribeth thus
On 22/07/2010 16:49, Desk Rabbit wrote:
On 22/07/2010 16:23, tony sayer wrote:
In , john hamilton
scribeth thus
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Olde fashioned flypaper's, do they still exist?...

Flypaper's what?

Get em from Robert Dyas (or indeed probably lots of other places).

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~122566...rs+-+Pack+of+4

They're the dogs'

There're the ones, me gran used to use them. Leave them up and little
while later full of pesky flies

Just like the Jam jars for the wasps very effective too and free to
make..
--
Tony Sayer

Old 22-07-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

john hamilton wrote:
"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message
On 22/07/2010 16:11, john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting
regularly at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We
have some immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Sounds more like fleas and/or bed bugs.

we get just the one or possibly two bites between us, per night. The
are very itchy and swell into a red blob. The remain itchy for two or
three days. That seems just like a mosquito bite to me. Would fleas
or bed bugs not tend to bite with a lot more smaller bites?

When I had bed bugs (Many years ago, dodgy accomo), I'd get a couple of
bites that made red lumps. BBs are easy to spot tho, as they're quite big.
Mine were hiding in a mob behind the headboard.

Anyway, according to wikipedia, it can't be a mosquito biting you every
night, unless there are several. They take a blood meal, then wait around
digesting it for a couple or more days, then lay their eggs, then take one
more bite and repeat.

Ian

Old 22-07-2010, 05:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Buffalo" wrote in message

john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly
at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Try one of those bug bombs that they sell. Some just need water added and
then you set them down and vacate the premises for the required time
(usually stated on the package). This will also take care of many other
pests also.
Buffalo

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.

Old 22-07-2010, 06:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"john hamilton" wrote:

A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

You have a chance if you have light colored walls and ceiling, which
make them more visible when they land. But if your room is wood paneled
or darkly painted, you'll never find them. Fly paper near your head is
probably the best choice.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 22-07-2010, 06:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:55:11 -0700, Billy wrote:

You have a chance if you have light colored walls and ceiling, which
make them more visible when they land. But if your room is wood paneled
or darkly painted, you'll never find them. Fly paper near your head is
probably the best choice.

Or, better still, actually *on* your head. A night cap made from
flypaper. And lined with aluminium foil (for those of a paranoid
disposition).

Old 22-07-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.rec.gardening

In message , john hamilton
writes
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Arun District Council have tried banning Mosquitoes. JF

Cross-posts reduced to the Usenet-compliant 4 newsgroups to make
this post acceptable.

Old 22-07-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"john hamilton" wrote in
:

A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting
regularly at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early
hours. We have some immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal
for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

A bug-zapper - one of those purple-fluorescent light, preferably
with a inwards-sucking fan units (or one with a low voltage
high-amp death mesh) will get it sooner or later. If you have a
lot of mosquitoes - even just once in a while - I'd say it's a
VERY worthwhile investment.

They MAY come with LED lights now, I haven't looked.

Fly paper works, but it tends to get in your hair as well.

I wouldn't use poisonous sprays in my room just to avoid a few
mosquito bites.

I have learned to catch mosquitoes by hand when I am reading in
bed, with just my one light on. They come, buzz around, and I
get them. 8/10 times on the first try. It's a pleasure to
squeeze the *******s into a little black pile of dirt. They
STAIN, though, watch out.

--
You know, that women never really faint
And that villains always blink their eyes
Old 22-07-2010, 08:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Aardvark wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:55:11 -0700, Billy wrote:

You have a chance if you have light colored walls and ceiling, which
make them more visible when they land. But if your room is wood
paneled or darkly painted, you'll never find them. Fly paper near
your head is probably the best choice.

Or, better still, actually *on* your head. A night cap made from
flypaper. And lined with aluminium foil (for those of a paranoid
disposition).

Flypaper bedclothes work very well, but can be a bit sticky in warm weather.

Old 22-07-2010, 09:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2010 16:11, john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

We had a load of probs with mozzies in Lanzarote earlier in the year.
They were hiding in the air con until we turned the lights out. Then
we'd get the familiar buzz as they come in to bite. A very long spray
from a can of suitable killer as we left the room and no more problems
when we got back.

Nothing quite like hearing mozzies buzzing at you in the dark when its
too hot to cover up.
Old 22-07-2010, 11:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Flypaper bedclothes work very well,

Only for very thin people who sleep alone in a narrow bunk.
You can't get king-size flypapers.

Janet