Old 23-07-2010, 09:39 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly
at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.
What about those liquid dispensers which plug into a socket and are sold for people going on holiday in the Med? One bottle lasts about 2 weeks. Don't know whether it's insecticide or repellent, but either way it clears mozzies from the room.Works well in Greece, don't see why it shouldn't work well here.
Old 23-07-2010, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

On Jul 23, 4:03 pm, "Wallace" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Jul 23, 4:54 am, "Wallace" wrote:

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.

I've heard that mozzies are attracted to CO2 being breathed out, and
not to the light in a bug zapper. Try a bugzapper with a CO2 source.

not needed. The zapper with the black light works just fine.

Here I looked it up for you:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/bug-zapper.htm

"By design, bug zappers do not discriminate between types of insects,
but because of their luring strategy, they tend kill those insects
that are most attracted to ultraviolet light. Mosquitoes,
unfortunately, are not attracted to ultraviolet light."

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mos_blt.html

"blacklight traps do a poor job of attracting biting flies like adult
female mosquitoes and biting gnats, and, in fact, attracted and killed
many more beneficial insect species. The traps were therefore
considered to be environmentally harmful because of damage to the
natural fauna.

The bottom line - don't use blacklight "bug zapper"-type traps for
mosquitoes. If you must use a trap try one of the propane-fueled
carbon dioxide traps since they are far more selective and won't
attract as many beneficial species"
Old 23-07-2010, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

All I can tell you is at our hunting place when we had mosquitoes indoors we
turned out the lights, turned on the bug zapper, and in a few minutes they
were all zapped. You do what you want.

see also:

"We found that black light traps captured significantly more mosquitoes at 2
and 2.5 m above the ground (P 0.05). We also evaluated the effectiveness
of trap spacing within the livestock enclosure. In general, traps spaced
between 4 and 7 m apart captured mosquitoes more efficiently than those
spaced closer together (P 0.05). Based on these findings, we concluded
that each black light trap in the livestock enclosures killed 7,586 female
mosquitoes per trap per night during the peak mosquito season (July-August).
In May-August 2003, additional concurrent field trials were conducted in
Ganghwa county. We got 74.9% reduction (P 0.05) of An. sinensis in human
dwellings and 61.5% reduction (P 0.05) in the livestock enclosures. The
black light trap operation in the livestock enclosures proved to be an
effective control method and should be incorporated into existing control
strategies in developed countries."

http://books.google.com/books?id=VM8...ight&f=fa lse

Old 23-07-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On 22 July, 17:01, "Dave Baker" wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message

A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at
night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some immovable
cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

They love cheese. Just pop a bit of cheese on a sprung trap and it'll come
out during the night and get its little neck broken. Oh hang on - that's
mousies not mozzies.
--
Dave Baker

did you know an Arab can live a year on a grain of rice ?
Old 23-07-2010, 10:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 24, 1:28 am, "Wallace" wrote:

All I can tell you is at our hunting place when we had mosquitoes indoors we
turned out the lights, turned on the bug zapper, and in a few minutes they
were all zapped. You do what you want.

see also:

OK then, I'll always believe an actual test over what some "expert"
says.
But I can't test it myself. There's been no mosquitoes around here for
years.
Global Warming must have killed them all.

Old 23-07-2010, 10:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

gloria.p wrote:

Bedbugs are a possibility, particularly if you have been traveling
recently.

Look also to spiders. Here are some photos comparing bedbug to spider
bites:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/

gloria p

Those are _American_ spider bites. There being 2 UK groups on the list I
assume the OP is in the UK. I don't think any UK species do anything
like that.

Andy
Old 23-07-2010, 11:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"Buffalo" wrote in message

john hamilton wrote:
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly
at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We have some
immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Try one of those bug bombs that they sell. Some just need water added
and
then you set them down and vacate the premises for the required time
(usually stated on the package). This will also take care of many other
pests also.
Buffalo

Interesting, as 'buffalo gnats' AKA blackfly (simuliidae), pack a much
worse bite than mosquitos and are every bit as sneaky. Not safe to go
into garden at dusk in the summer at all.

Especially during a stampede.

Indeed, the uk Natural History Museum (where I sent samples from our garden)
is part of the world wide project to find ways of eradicating the simuliids.
One of the dangers is that, near water, they do form swarms large enough to
cause cattle to stampede to try and escape them. In our garden they are
silent and almost invisible in the evening, and they have no trouble biting
through clothing, and leave lumps like new muscles that ache for several
days. They are supposed to rely on running water to breed, but our garden
is on a hillside half a mile from the nearest stream.

Only way to beat them is not to go out there at dusk.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
gloria.p wrote:

Bedbugs are a possibility, particularly if you have been traveling
recently.

Look also to spiders. Here are some photos comparing bedbug to spider
bites:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/

gloria p

Those are _American_ spider bites. There being 2 UK groups on the list I
assume the OP is in the UK. I don't think any UK species do anything like
that.

Andy

There is an alien one getting about that bites: was on tv recently but I
forget its name.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jethro
saying something like:

did you know an Arab can live a year on a grain of rice ?

That's a pretty impressive balancing act.
Old 24-07-2010, 12:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
gloria.p wrote:

Bedbugs are a possibility, particularly if you have been traveling
recently.

Look also to spiders. Here are some photos comparing bedbug to spider
bites:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/

gloria p

Those are _American_ spider bites. There being 2 UK groups on the list I
assume the OP is in the UK. I don't think any UK species do anything
like that.

Andy

There is an alien one getting about that bites: was on tv recently but I
forget its name.

And the little brown 'ladybird' shaped carpet beetles also manage to bite
before you roll over and squash them.

Old 24-07-2010, 01:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 1:28 am, "Wallace" wrote:

All I can tell you is at our hunting place when we had mosquitoes indoors
we
turned out the lights, turned on the bug zapper, and in a few minutes
they
were all zapped. You do what you want.

see also:

OK then, I'll always believe an actual test over what some "expert"
says.

Wow, you could knock me over with a feather! I've never seen such a reply
on the web! Good for you man. I'm not kidding. A thumbs up for you!

All I've seen is the digging in of heels and the name calling and restating
what was said so as to call the other a liar and bolster one's own position.

I am really awestruck! Speechless!

You have made my day. Unless you are pulling my leg . . .

Cheers!

Old 24-07-2010, 03:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:11:18 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:

harry wrote:

the female mosquito only bites the once.

Who told you that?

A female mosquito he once dated. She told him she was a virgin too.

--
"Snakes! Sons of vipers! How will you escape the judgment of hell?"
Matthew 23:33.
Old 24-07-2010, 03:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:20:32 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:

Aardvark wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:22:59 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Jul 23, 4:54 am, "Wallace" wrote:

bug zapper. turn it on at night, with other lights off.
I've heard that mozzies are attracted to CO2 being breathed out, and
not to the light in a bug zapper. Try a bugzapper with a CO2 source.

Or attach a bug zapper to your forehead, or to the front of the
flypaper hat with aluminium foil lining.

I have found one of the most effective solutions is to get ****ed before
bed, then take a long bath in Scotch whisky, followed by a roll in a
sand pit. When the little muthas bite during the night they suck up all
the whisky, get argumentative and kill each other by throwing the grains
of sand.

Sounds like a cunning plan, mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRxX3s3JlM

Old 24-07-2010, 08:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Andy Champ wrote:

gloria.p wrote:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/

Those are _American_ spider bites. There being 2 UK groups on the list I
assume the OP is in the UK. I don't think any UK species do anything
like that.

I hope not

http://www.badspiderbites.com/images...der-bite-b.jpg

Old 24-07-2010, 10:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:

the female mosquito only bites the once.

Who told you that?

A female mosquito he once dated. She told him she was a virgin too.

:-)

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus