Old 24-07-2010, 01:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Wallace"
saying something like:

OK then, I'll always believe an actual test over what some "expert"
says.

Wow, you could knock me over with a feather! I've never seen such a reply
on the web! Good for you man. I'm not kidding. A thumbs up for you!

All I've seen is the digging in of heels and the name calling and restating
what was said so as to call the other a liar and bolster one's own position.

I am really awestruck! Speechless!

You have made my day. Unless you are pulling my leg . . .

Thin end of the wedge, if you ask me. I mean, before you know it, we'll
have tests and facts and undisputable results and the experts will be
out of a job. Could turn things on their head, that could, and be the
end of civilisation as we know it, with consultants on the dole queue
left, right and centre.
Think, man, think - the economic revival might very well depend on
clueless, useless, otherwise unemployable armies of consultants and
experts, dispensing worthless advice and baseless information. To have
these finger-in-the-air advisors rendered impotent might be very
dangerous indeed.
Old 24-07-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:18:22 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

"Ian B" wrote in message

Indeed, the uk Natural History Museum (where I sent samples from our garden)
is part of the world wide project to find ways of eradicating the simuliids.
One of the dangers is that, near water, they do form swarms large enough to
cause cattle to stampede to try and escape them. In our garden they are
silent and almost invisible in the evening, and they have no trouble biting
through clothing, and leave lumps like new muscles that ache for several
days. They are supposed to rely on running water to breed, but our garden
is on a hillside half a mile from the nearest stream.

Only way to beat them is not to go out there at dusk.

I agree with you aboit the sandflies. I think I have them in my
garden. No bites all day but come dusk...
Old 24-07-2010, 11:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:53:30 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Yep, I'll second that: the only bedroom wall for me is smooth and painted
white. Even then the buggers are so thin you don't know they are there
until you turn the light off and, shortly after, hear the whine in your ear.
Turn it back on and they vanish instantly.

They zero in on CO2, but I've also heard they like sweaty feet too. I doubt
if they would be enticed by either light or flypaper: on the contrary, they
hide till it gets dark. When you do try to swat them, come from behind or v
slowly from above, with something wet. Or, if you don't mind the noise, a
vacuum cleaner with the 'behind the sofa' attachment on is favourite. Get
them first time or you will be up all night.

The ones that sit with their back legs up and the body at an angle to the
surface are the malaria carrying ones, and, yes, we do have them in the UK.

I've generally found them on the wall somewhere nearby. I don't think
they hide away anywhere. They do need a bit of looking for sometimes
though. It doesn't sound like mosquitos in this case, though, unless
there is the tell-tale whine.
Old 25-07-2010, 10:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 24, 12:21 pm, "Wallace" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 1:28 am, "Wallace" wrote:

All I can tell you is at our hunting place when we had mosquitoes indoors
we
turned out the lights, turned on the bug zapper, and in a few minutes
they
were all zapped. You do what you want.

see also:

OK then, I'll always believe an actual test over what some "expert"
says.

Wow, you could knock me over with a feather! I've never seen such a reply
on the web! Good for you man. I'm not kidding. A thumbs up for you!

All I've seen is the digging in of heels and the name calling and restating
what was said so as to call the other a liar and bolster one's own position.

I am really awestruck! Speechless!

You have made my day. Unless you are pulling my leg . . .

Cheers!

I don't care who is right and who is wrong. I just want the correct
answer.
I had seen a number of websites that say mosquitoes are not attracted
to UV, and nothing to say the opposite. When I next see mosquitoes
I'll drag out my zapper and see if it works.
Old 25-07-2010, 03:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

I gave you links that say the opposite.

Old 25-07-2010, 03:40 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Matty F said this on the googlegroups.com:

I don't care who is right and who is wrong.
I just want the correct answer.
I had seen a number of websites that say mosquitoes
are not attracted to UV, and nothing to say the opposite.
When I next see mosquitoes
I'll drag out my zapper and see if it works.

Mostly, mosquitoes are attracted to 3rd-World countries,
and people who don't have any of the mosquito-nets yet.
Fly-paper strips, you pull out of the cylinder like a coil,
are really the best because you can taunt the little boogers
until they croak... "Cain't touch this... Cain't touch this.."

It's very gratifying and returns your sense of control.

HTH.

[I don't think PETA or the SPCA covers mosquitoes; but
just in case, please use discretion repeating any of this
because if they find out, they may stalk me -- or blog badly
about me. They can be so insensitive and ruthless! TIA.]

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens

Old 26-07-2010, 05:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

"I had seen a number of websites" means, before you gave the links.

Old 29-07-2010, 01:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
a a is offline

"john hamilton" wrote in message ...
A mosquito has been in our bedroom for about a week, biting regularly at night; when we are fast asleep, in the early hours. We
have some immovable cupboards etc, that are ideal for it to hide behind.

Is there any way to entice it out, so we can deal with it?

Spray the room with insect spray, doofus. In the cupboards, under the bed,
everywhere. It'll smoke out and kill the ****er.