GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Use of tomato food (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192903-use-tomato-food.html)

JMS 24-07-2010 06:51 PM

Use of tomato food

I use Sutton's Tomato feed - (50gm pack to make up to 900 litres of
food by mixing with water - good value).

I recently made too much up and used it to "water" some perpetual
spinach and also beet root.

However - I have noticed on some plants of both species that some
parts of some leaves are going brown.

Surely this cannot be because I actually fed them with the stuff-
perhaps I caught/wet the leaves when I watered the food on - would
this explain?

Bob Hobden 24-07-2010 10:50 PM

Use of tomato food

"JMS" wrote ...

I use Sutton's Tomato feed - (50gm pack to make up to 900 litres of
food by mixing with water - good value).

I recently made too much up and used it to "water" some perpetual
spinach and also beet root.

However - I have noticed on some plants of both species that some
parts of some leaves are going brown.

Surely this cannot be because I actually fed them with the stuff-
perhaps I caught/wet the leaves when I watered the food on - would
this explain?

Tomato feed is designed to get tomatoes to flower and fruit and neither of
those things do you want spinach or beetroot to do.
It would have been better used on your flowers.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

harry 25-07-2010 07:28 AM

Use of tomato food

On 24 July, 18:51, JMS wrote:
I use Sutton's Tomato feed - (50gm pack to make up to 900 litres of
food by mixing with water - good *value).

I recently made too much up and used it to "water" some perpetual
spinach and also beet root.

However - I have noticed on some plants of both species that some
parts of some leaves are going brown.

Surely this cannot be because I actually fed them with the stuff-
perhaps I caught/wet the leaves *when I watered the food on - would
this explain?

Tomato food is low in nitrogen and high in pottassium. The exact
opposite to what leafy plants need. I wouldn't think it would cause
any damage though.

Ornata 27-07-2010 01:08 PM

Use of tomato food

On 25 July, 07:28, harry wrote:
On 24 July, 18:51, JMS wrote:

I use Sutton's Tomato feed - (50gm pack to make up to 900 litres of
food by mixing with water - good *value).

I recently made too much up and used it to "water" some perpetual
spinach and also beet root.

However - I have noticed on some plants of both species that some
parts of some leaves are going brown.

Surely this cannot be because I actually fed them with the stuff-
perhaps I caught/wet the leaves *when I watered the food on - would
this explain?

Tomato food is low in nitrogen and high in pottassium. *The exact
opposite to what leafy plants need. * I wouldn't think it would cause
any damage though.

I noticed the same thing happening on some chard ("Bright Lights",
being grown in pots mainly as an ornamental hence the use of inorganic
fertiliser) that I watered with a (possibly too strong) dilute multi-
purpose plant food. Perhaps the beet family is particular sensitive
to fertiliser salts and overfeeding.