GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Beech hedge critters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192913-beech-hedge-critters.html)

aquachimp 25-07-2010 04:21 PM

Beech hedge critters

Anyone know what those small ("3-4 mm long X maybe 2mm wide) black
creatures are that land on one's unprotected arms whilst one is
trimming a (fagus) beech hedge and then they have a real good chomp?
Those bites are fierce, wouldn't they prefer aphids or something else?

aquachimp 25-07-2010 04:25 PM

Beech hedge critters

On Jul 25, 5:21*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
Anyone know what those small ("3-4 mm long X maybe 2mm wide) black
creatures are that land on one's unprotected arms whilst one is
trimming a (fagus) beech hedge and then they have a real good chomp?
Those bites are fierce, wouldn't they prefer aphids or something else?

ps, I don't think they're the same as the beetles mentioned elsewhere;
No inclination to fly off for starters.

kay 26-07-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquachimp (Post 895367)
Anyone know what those small ("3-4 mm long X maybe 2mm wide) black
creatures are that land on one's unprotected arms whilst one is
trimming a (fagus) beech hedge and then they have a real good chomp?
Those bites are fierce, wouldn't they prefer aphids or something else?

Sort of pointed oval, with the sharp end at the front?

No, I don't know what they are ;-)

But I was bitten twice this morning while pruning a hazel.

aquachimp 29-07-2010 08:52 PM

Beech hedge critters

--
kay

Segmented body?

I asked someone yesterday and the answer was haag beuk bladeren
luizen. Hedge (beech) leaves fleas.
I'm non the wiser now

kay 29-07-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquachimp (Post 895815)
On Jul 26, 4:11*pm, kay wrote:
aquachimp;895367 Wrote:

Anyone know what those small ("3-4 mm long X maybe 2mm wide) black
creatures are that land on one's unprotected arms whilst one is
trimming a (fagus) beech hedge and then they have a real good chomp?
Those bites are fierce, wouldn't they prefer aphids or something else?

Sort of pointed oval, with the sharp end at the front?

No, I don't know what they are ;-)

But I was bitten twice this morning while pruning a hazel.

--
kay

Segmented body?

I asked someone yesterday and the answer was haag beuk bladeren
luizen. Hedge (beech) leaves fleas.
I'm non the wiser now

Not the same as mine. Mine are mini-beetles.