Old 29-07-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can you identify mystery plant tall stem with star top and largeleaves

This plant growing in full sun location Devon , the gardener cannot
identify. photo taken with 12" ruler behind. speckled on underside of
leaves and stem single fleshy stem star shaped head with a collection
if seed pods or flower heads. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/victor.../MysteryPlant#
Old 29-07-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Eucomis bicolor, I have a nice clump of it flowering here at the
moment. The bulbs are so crowded, they sit on the soil surface and
were frozen solid last winter. It is one of the hardier of the
'pineapple lilies' and tolerates a fair degree of neglect and abuse.
Old 29-07-2010, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
victor said:

This plant growing in full sun location Devon , the gardener cannot
identify. photo taken with 12" ruler behind. speckled on underside of
leaves and stem single fleshy stem star shaped head with a collection
if seed pods or flower heads.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/victor.../MysteryPlant#

Looks like a Eucomis comosa. We had them here in pots in our garden in
the South Hams and they were killed off into a horrible slimy mess by last
year's frosts. The ones in the greenhouses, which are only kept at
frost-free level, all survived.

Funny, ours in the ground survived OK, in fact they have doubled themselves
and are looking better this year than they have for years. (I did originally
plant them deep though, probably 10 years or so ago)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-07-2010, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Bob wrote:

Funny, ours in the ground survived OK, in fact they have doubled themselves
and are looking better this year than they have for years. (I did originally
plant them deep though, probably 10 years or so ago)

I was certain mine would not survive - the bulbs looked in a bad way
before they started into growth. Most produced 2 new shoots out of
the tops of the bulbs, indicating some winter damage. They have
produced twice as many flower spikes as last year, so it seems that
bicolor at least, improves after a tough winter.