GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193004-plant-id-please.html)

David WE Roberts[_2_] 30-07-2010 06:17 PM

Plant ID please

This is a 'soldier' on our allotment.

http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...tUK/Allotment/
[Ignore the tap photos]

It looked enough like a bean for us to let it grow and hope for something
useful.
However it is producing what look like seeds.

Any idea what it is?

TIA

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Stewart Robert Hinsley 30-07-2010 06:52 PM

Plant ID please

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
This is a 'soldier' on our allotment.

http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...tUK/Allotment/
[Ignore the tap photos]

It looked enough like a bean for us to let it grow and hope for
something useful.
However it is producing what look like seeds.

Any idea what it is?

Try Fagopyrum esculentum (buckwheat). It's sometimes included in green
manure mixes.

TIA

Dave R

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 31-07-2010 09:22 AM

Plant ID please

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-07-30 18:17:52 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

This is a 'soldier' on our allotment.
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...tUK/Allotment/
[Ignore the tap photos]
It looked enough like a bean for us to let it grow and hope for
something useful.
However it is producing what look like seeds.
Any idea what it is?
TIA
Dave R

It's hard to tell from the pics but is there any chance it's a Catalpa
bignoides?

I wouldn't have expected a Catalpa to flower at that size. Apart from
that Catalpa fruits are long pods, and its flowers are zygomorphic and
sympetalous (bilaterally symmetric with fused petals); while the picture
isn't clear, this plant under question appears to have actinomorphic
choripetalous flowers (radially symmetric with unfused petals)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

David Roberts[_2_] 02-08-2010 10:44 AM

Plant ID please (look away if you're not chasing obscure newsfeed probs)

On 30/07/2010 18:17, David WE Roberts wrote:
This is a 'soldier' on our allotment.

http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/z...tUK/Allotment/
[Ignore the tap photos]

It looked enough like a bean for us to let it grow and hope for
something useful.
However it is producing what look like seeds.

Any idea what it is?

TIA

Dave R

Curiouser and curiouser - I see this part of the thread under
Thunderbird as a seperate thread which does not include my response and
subsequent responses from the reply I posted via Virgin.

Apologies for the rash of OT postings.

Dave R

--
Posting via Thunderbird