GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   A stupid question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193048-stupid-question.html)

Kathy McIntosh 01-08-2010 06:25 PM

A stupid question

How can you tell when a squash is ripe? Our plants are producing lots, but
as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them too
big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick them
before they are ready.

--
Kathy

[email protected] 01-08-2010 06:36 PM

A stupid question

In article ,
Kathy McIntosh wrote:
How can you tell when a squash is ripe? Our plants are producing lots, but
as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them too
big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick them
before they are ready.

If they are 'summer squash', you eat them unripe, and it is important
to pick them before they get tough. If they are 'winter squash',
you let them ripen fully, and that will not happen for a long time
yet (in the UK) - indeed, you may need to finish ripening them on
a sunny window ledge. Some, like Little Gem, can be eaten as either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 01-08-2010 06:42 PM

A stupid question

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote
How can you tell when a squash is ripe? Our plants are producing lots,
but as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them
too big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick them
before they are ready.

What exactly are you growing, that will determine the answer.
Butternut squash, for example, have to go as ripe as possible and then are
best stored for a few weeks in a warm dry place before being used. Some
summer squash are best used un-mature.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Kathy McIntosh 01-08-2010 11:01 PM

A stupid question

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote
How can you tell when a squash is ripe? Our plants are producing lots,
but as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them
too big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick
them before they are ready.

What exactly are you growing, that will determine the answer.
Butternut squash, for example, have to go as ripe as possible and then are
best stored for a few weeks in a warm dry place before being used. Some
summer squash are best used un-mature.

Thanks Bob. We are growing butternut and honeybear.

harry 02-08-2010 08:07 AM

A stupid question

On 1 Aug, 18:25, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
How can you tell when a squash is ripe? *Our plants are producing lots, but
as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them too
big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick them
before they are ready.

--
Kathy

Pick one and try it is the best way to know.

mogga 02-08-2010 11:59 AM

A stupid question

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:01:52 +0100, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote
How can you tell when a squash is ripe? Our plants are producing lots,
but as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them
too big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick
them before they are ready.

What exactly are you growing, that will determine the answer.
Butternut squash, for example, have to go as ripe as possible and then are
best stored for a few weeks in a warm dry place before being used. Some
summer squash are best used un-mature.

Thanks Bob. We are growing butternut and honeybear.

Do the butternut look like they do in the shops yet?

What's a honeybear one? Off to look up pictures of that one!
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

No Name 02-08-2010 02:49 PM

A stupid question

mogga wrote:
Thanks Bob. We are growing butternut and honeybear.

Do the butternut look like they do in the shops yet?

I wouldn't expect butternut to be ready yet. We normally leave them until
the plant has died back and the squash has been allowed to ripen on the
ground for a week or three.