GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Old Railway Sleepers Leaking Tar prevention? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193060-old-railway-sleepers-leaking-tar-prevention.html)

Jonathon 02-08-2010 01:22 PM

Old Railway Sleepers Leaking Tar prevention?

I have half a dozen old railay sleepers which form
raised beds leaking tar. How do I seal them?

Thank you

Gopher 02-08-2010 02:56 PM

Old Railway Sleepers Leaking Tar prevention?

In message , Jonathon
writes
I have half a dozen old railay sleepers which form
raised beds leaking tar. How do I seal them?

Thank you

I'm not sure it is possible. Possibly some readers of this group will
know of ways to manage this but I have several raised beds and other
constructions made out of old sleepers and have learned to live with it.
Any sleepers I buy now are inspected prior to selection.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

harry 02-08-2010 07:33 PM

On 2 Aug, 13:22, Jonathon wrote:
I have half a dozen old railay sleepers which form
raised beds leaking tar. How do I seal them?

Thank you

Nothing can be done. Just scrape it off. It will stop eventually.

stuart noble 02-08-2010 07:48 PM

On 02/08/2010 19:33, harry wrote:
On 2 Aug, 13:22, wrote:
I have half a dozen old railay sleepers which form
raised beds leaking tar. How do I seal them?

Thank you

Nothing can be done. Just scrape it off. It will stop eventually.

In theory shellac based knotting should work as it isn't soluble in oil,
but I'm not sure whether it's sufficiently waterproof to last outdoors.

[email protected] 07-08-2010 08:14 PM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:22:15 +0100, Jonathon wrote:

I have half a dozen old railay sleepers which form
raised beds leaking tar. How do I seal them?

Thank you

The cure is probably more deleterious than the condition. Provided
that you don't want to eat the produce grown therein, don't worry.
Unless, you're happy for your plants to fail.

It may not be PC/Green, but IME, old railway sleepers are best used as
fuel in some sort of solid fuel stove.

Regards
Jon(Who remembers the Miners Strike)H