GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Insecticide for cabbages (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193068-insecticide-cabbages.html)

Joseph Blewewtt 02-08-2010 05:47 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

Bob Hobden 02-08-2010 06:38 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Polysect.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

harry 02-08-2010 07:22 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

On 2 Aug, 17:47, (Joseph Blewewtt) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

--

There used to be lots of good ones. Systemic ones. However they have
mostly disappeared. My theory is that the manufacturers discovered

graham 02-08-2010 08:09 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Polysect.

Don't people use B. thuringiensis any more?
Graham

Christina Websell[_2_] 02-08-2010 08:27 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote in message
news:1jmlyp2.fmcydc17l6n0kN%joe_blewwett@fastmail. com...
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

No, because I ask myself if I really want to eat it after I've sprayed
deadly chemicals on it.
Tina

Mike Lyle 02-08-2010 08:58 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

Christina Websell wrote:
"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote in message
news:1jmlyp2.fmcydc17l6n0kN%joe_blewwett@fastmail. com...
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

No, because I ask myself if I really want to eat it after I've sprayed
deadly chemicals on it.
Tina

I find the biological control, Index pollexque, works quite well, but
has to be repeated every couple of days. We northern barbarians call it
"finger and thumb", and its advantage is that it won't poison any
wildlife that finds the ones I miss.

--
Mike.

No Name 02-08-2010 09:24 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

Mike Lyle wrote:
I find the biological control, Index pollexque, works quite well, but
has to be repeated every couple of days. We northern barbarians call it
"finger and thumb", and its advantage is that it won't poison any
wildlife that finds the ones I miss.

.... depending on how dirty your hands were!

No Name 02-08-2010 09:25 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

Christina Websell wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

No, because I ask myself if I really want to eat it after I've sprayed
deadly chemicals on it.

It's a fair point, but I hate to think what they spray on farm-grown ones.
:-(
I never really thought about it with cabbages, but particularly with
broccoli I try to always buy organic for that reason. It just looks so ...
nook-and-cranny, for all the nastyness to hide in!

Bob Hobden 02-08-2010 10:29 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

"graham" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Polysect.

Don't people use B. thuringiensis any more?

Not seen it for sale for some years and my stock has run out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

David in Normandy[_8_] 02-08-2010 11:02 PM

Insecticide for cabbages

On 02/08/2010 18:47, Joseph Blewewtt wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

DDT? ;-)

My father has still got a tin of DDT in his shed. God knows how many
years it has been banned.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

harry 03-08-2010 07:03 AM

Insecticide for cabbages

On 2 Aug, 23:02, David in Normandy
wrote:
On 02/08/2010 18:47, Joseph Blewewtt wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

DDT? ;-)

My father has still got a tin of DDT in his shed. God knows how many
years it has been banned.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Still used in foreign parts. Your yams from Tesco probably been done
with it.

harry 03-08-2010 07:04 AM

Insecticide for cabbages

On 2 Aug, 17:47, (Joseph Blewewtt) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

--

You can get a lot of them off with the hose pipe. & then trample
them :-)

Jill Bell[_3_] 03-08-2010 08:43 AM

Insecticide for cabbages

On 02/08/2010 21:25, wrote:

It's a fair point, but I hate to think what they spray on farm-grown ones.
:-(
I never really thought about it with cabbages, but particularly with
broccoli I try to always buy organic for that reason. It just looks so ...
nook-and-cranny, for all the nastyness to hide in!

But don't all the nook and crannies provide the perfect hiding places
for all the caterpillars.......... somehow, I never fancy eating it when
a few boiled caterpillars have floated to the top of the pan. And if
I've spotted them in advance, I never seem to manage to get them all out!
Jill

No Name 03-08-2010 10:56 AM

Insecticide for cabbages

Sacha wrote:
But don't all the nook and crannies provide the perfect hiding places
for all the caterpillars.......... somehow, I never fancy eating it
when a few boiled caterpillars have floated to the top of the pan. And
if I've spotted them in advance, I never seem to manage to get them all
out!

Soak cabbage and caulis in cold salted water before re-washing and cooking!

A good plan, but I've never found it works. :-(
Perhaps I'm not using enough salt.

No Name 03-08-2010 10:57 AM

Insecticide for cabbages

harry wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

You can get a lot of them off with the hose pipe. & then trample
them :-)

Or throw them to the chickens!