GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Raised bed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193081-raised-bed.html)

soup[_6_] 03-08-2010 09:16 PM

Raised bed

I am looking to build a raised bed. As it has to be wheelchair
accesabile (at present son can garden fron a sitting/kneeling on the
soil position, but I have to have one eye on the future) am looking at
24" wide and 26" deep (by say 4'long).

Does anyone have any links to plans/sites or gotchas that I should look
out for? The weight of that amount of soil is the first thing I think
off, and the wood being in soil contact in all weathers is another.
I am no gardener but DIY holds no fears for me (money is tight though).

Jake 03-08-2010 11:15 PM

Raised bed

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 21:16:28 +0100, soup
wrote:

I am looking to build a raised bed. As it has to be wheelchair
accesabile (at present son can garden fron a sitting/kneeling on the
soil position, but I have to have one eye on the future) am looking at
24" wide and 26" deep (by say 4'long).

Does anyone have any links to plans/sites or gotchas that I should look
out for? The weight of that amount of soil is the first thing I think
off, and the wood being in soil contact in all weathers is another.
I am no gardener but DIY holds no fears for me (money is tight though).

Have you heard of this site?:

http://www.gardeningfordisabledtrust.org.uk/index.html

Hope it's helpful.