Old 20-08-2010, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Big cat on news tonight

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:00:19 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
.. .

Certainly not an endorsement of their ability to recognise a normally-
-configured dog.

What, in your opinion, is a normally configured dog?
Tina

Do you really need to ask?

For example, dogs with skin that fits, dogs that can breathe through
normal jaws and faces, dogs bred without congenital hip problems, dogs
bred without artificial ridges on their backs, dogs who can see their
way around without wearing an Alice band etc etc etc., dogs who can
walk without their guts scraping along the ground.

Why do you think Crufts has lost so many sponsors?
Lost their broadcaster?
Attracted criticism from so many sources including the RSPCA.

And most of the judges are more inbred than the poor animals.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 20-08-2010, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:00:19 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
. ..

Certainly not an endorsement of their ability to recognise a normally-
-configured dog.

What, in your opinion, is a normally configured dog?
Tina

Do you really need to ask?

For example, dogs with skin that fits, dogs that can breathe through
normal jaws and faces, dogs bred without congenital hip problems, dogs
bred without artificial ridges on their backs, dogs who can see their
way around without wearing an Alice band etc etc etc., dogs who can
walk without their guts scraping along the ground.

Why do you think Crufts has lost so many sponsors?
Lost their broadcaster?
Attracted criticism from so many sources including the RSPCA.

Don't start me about the RSPCA.

And most of the judges are more inbred than the poor animals.

Cite that, please.
Or is that just your silly opinion?

Tina

Old 20-08-2010, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:02:42 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message

Certainly not an endorsement of their ability to recognise a normally-
-configured dog.

What, in your opinion, is a normally configured dog?
Tina

Do you really need to ask?

For example, dogs with skin that fits, dogs that can breathe through
normal jaws and faces, dogs bred without congenital hip problems, dogs
bred without artificial ridges on their backs, dogs who can see their
way around without wearing an Alice band etc etc etc., dogs who can
walk without their guts scraping along the ground.

Why do you think Crufts has lost so many sponsors?
Lost their broadcaster?
Attracted criticism from so many sources including the RSPCA.

Don't start me about the RSPCA.

I didn't start it.

Just comment on the other points I've mentioned
or is just any criticism based on well-known facts anathema or silly.

Anyway, how did this stupid thread start, it's got nothing to do with
gardening and I'm bored with it.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°

Frankly, my dear, I don't dig a clam

Old 20-08-2010, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

My labrador was entered at Crufts, an I sometimes think the judges look
at the wrong end of the lead!

Bill

Unfortunately, I have to agree that this does happen sometimes. *If* the
judge is not ethical and an exhibitor will soon be a judge at another
championship show where they will be entering their own dog. My friend
does not do that.
Neither do I. I used to judge and gave best of breed to a dog that was
winning a lot and had a big fault, purely because she was the best of a
bad bunch.
I was horrified to find that when I entered my own dog when this person
was judging some time later, I won my class and the report she sent to the
dog newspapers - the dog's critique - was *identical* to the one I'd sent
in for her dog, except of course she changed "her" to "him"
How blatant is that to say, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours?
I was appalled.
I lost any respect for her immediately.
Fortunately, although it is commonly believed that the dog show scene is
fixed, most judges will put the best dog first, regardless of who is at
the other end of the lead. Those that do not give it a bad name.

Tina

Hi Tina,

We seem to have had similar experiences with regard to judges. I thought
Cruft's would be at least fair, but regrtettably some form of old pals act
won the day.

At least I got to Cruft's but even when my Lab qualified, one onlooker, who
wasn't very complimentary said about the judge - " She wasn't a Labrador
judge" anyway. He was of course hinting that he didn't think my dog was
good enough and that a pal's dog should have qualified. That was the only
disappointing comment I heard from a jealous entrant.

We got there, that was the most imprtant thing.

All the best,

Bill

Old 20-08-2010, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:07:37 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:

Sightings of a big cat reported on local ITV news tonight: Bristol
area;
http://www.itv.com/westcountry-east/...ightings51259/

Pam in Bristol

There have been reports of big cats in the area of Bodmin Moor in
Cornwall for the past 1 0 years or so. Never proffed, but on the other
hand too numerous to be dismissed out of hand.

Peter

As I think the report stated!

Pam in Bristol

A good read on the subject of Big Cats is:-

CAT COUNTRY, by Di Francis ISBN 0 7153 8425 2
Puiblished by David and Charles, Newton Abbot 1983 (?)

Lots af ancedotal evidence.

Bill

Old 20-08-2010, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message

From my experience having judged at Crufts

Wow! You did? Fantastic! What breeds did you judge? It is really a
lifetime achievement to do that.

If you see commas where there aren't any then it's not surprising you
can't tell a cat from a dog.

is not necessarily any endorsement for being able to recognise a dog.

I can assure you that anyone who is invited to judge at Crufts knows the
difference between the gait of a cat and a dog that runs across the road in
front of their car.
I don't understand your hostility, is it a perceived class thing?

Eh?

Having been involved in show dogs for over 22 years I have met all
levels of people from all sorts of backgrounds who have judged at
Crufts. "Class" doesn't come into it except perhaps in your mind- it's a
competence thing and many who have judged at crufts have never had the
privilege of going over my dogs because I had no interest in their
opinion.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 20-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I can see very good reasons why they can't survive very well. I gave them in the other thread, but I'll repeat it for your benefit.

Large cats are predators, and need to be taught how to be successful predators in the wild by parental care. Released big cats come from a mix of captive-bred and animals caught in infancy, and have not had to look after themselves recently.

If you don't understand how serious this is for an animals survival chances, consider the case of bats. If you catch a bat and feed it, it becomes unsuitable to be returned to the wild, as after about a fortnight it becomes accustomed to being fed and can no longer survive in the wild.

Have you not seen the television programmes which show how marginal a large predatory cat's existence is, even those living on the game-filled plains of Africa and brought up to look after themselves?

It really is most implausible to think that previously captive large cats can fend for themselves for very long in the British countryside.

Are you joking? Obviously you've never raised a farm cat compared to a pedigree? Its in their genes, they create their own play and don't 'Have' to be taught anything to survive, most of the species are solitary hunters.

Maybe its the mutant humans we should be more worried about anyway...

...Did anyone see 'Wrong Turn 2' last night.... This hillbilly holds this girl by the hair at the start of the movie, and then precedes to chop her clean in half, straight down the middle with an felling axe and her intestines fall onto the floor..lol....then he and his cousin drag off each half of her by the leg...that was so funny...I wet myself! lol!
Old 20-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered User

Cats are like crocodiles, they are top of the food chain. You don't domestic a crocodile and then release it and worry about how its gonna survive. By your rational those poor girls that that German bloke had locked up in his basement for twenty years don't stand a chance of rehabilitation. Bats are way down the food chain, they are mice with wings. Move to Darwin Australia, get your Mango tree infested with protected Flying foxes, wake up and smell the guano each morning, knowing full well there is nothing you can do about it but move and we'll see how you feel about bats!!!...They are cute little critters though aren't they!
Old 21-08-2010, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-08-20 22:23:25 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , Christina Websell
writes
"hugh" ] wrote in message

From my experience having judged at Crufts
[...]

HOW I wish the Crufts judge who lived just up the lane from us was
still alive. I can imagine her remarks if she saw this sort of
nonsense from someone claiming to have judged at Crufts!

Your reading of sentences is about as accurate as your husbands
observations of small animals.

I think your friend would have readily agreed with my comments. You on
the other hand obviously know nothing about the dog show world.
It's a fact that some people

....claim to....
have seen large cats, including my husband who is not given to an
over-wrought imagination or taking fright in the dark. He's more than
used to walking around in the pitch dark checking the nursery so a
domestic cat is hardly likely to be an object of alarm and amazement.

As somebody else has already explained in great detail the human
cognitive system is very unreliable in certain situations and prone to
exaggeration.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 21-08-2010, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-08-20 12:05:26 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , Christina Websell
writes
IME people who are not used to seeing rats around always over-estimate their
size when they've seen a glimpse of one.

Likewise when people are startled when out at night.
No-one of course will then admit to being scared by a pussy cat

That's your personal experience, too, is it? How fortunate we are.

I taught I taw a puddy cat ....
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 21-08-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
.. .

Certainly not an endorsement of their ability to recognise a normally-
-configured dog.

What, in your opinion, is a normally configured dog?
Tina

In this context it would be a dog which conformed in physical attributes
to the standard for the breed laid down by the Kennel Club,
Unfortunately in the show world the whole system is unstable with
breeders being judges and judges being breeders. This invariably in
almost all breed has led to exaggerations, some more serious than
others.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 21-08-2010, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

My labrador was entered at Crufts, an I sometimes think the judges look
at the wrong end of the lead!

Bill

Unfortunately, I have to agree that this does happen sometimes. *If* the
judge is not ethical and an exhibitor will soon be a judge at another
championship show where they will be entering their own dog. My friend does
not do that.
Neither do I. I used to judge and gave best of breed to a dog that was
winning a lot and had a big fault, purely because she was the best of a bad
bunch.

A common weakness amongst judges. All firsts look the same in the record
books. You do have the option to withhold awards if you feel the dogs
are not of a sufficiently good standard.

I do know judges who have done that and whilst they attract hostility
from the exhibitors on the day they do ultimately gain more respect and
it never seemed to diminish their prospects of future invitations to
judge
I was horrified to find that when I entered my own dog when this person was
judging some time later, I won my class and the report she sent to the dog
newspapers - the dog's critique - was *identical* to the one I'd sent in for
her dog, except of course she changed "her" to "him"

Critiques quite often are full of all the expected clichés and bear
little resemblance to the actual judging
snip
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 21-08-2010, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message

From my experience having judged at Crufts

Wow! You did? Fantastic! What breeds did you judge? It is really a
lifetime achievement to do that.

is not necessarily any endorsement for being able to recognise a dog.

I can assure you that anyone who is invited to judge at Crufts knows the
difference between the gait of a cat and a dog that runs across the road in
front of their car.
I don't understand your hostility, is it a perceived class thing?

Your misreading of my sentence is an excellent example of how the mind
can impose what it expects or wants to see on top of what it actually
sees, very pertinent to this thread, just to get marginally back On
Topic.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 21-08-2010, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

From my experience having judged at Crufts, I would have difficulty
in telling a house mouse from a tiger.

Could we drop this inane thread? If anyone is planning on introducing
big cats to the UK, they have my support, though realistically the
best one would be the Eurasian lynx, which we direly need in areas
of high muntjac and roe population.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
how can we get to see: was big cat on news tonight gardenlen[_2_] United Kingdom 13 24-08-2010 11:02 PM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 06:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:32 AM