Old 19-08-2010, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another New Raspberry Question

My current summer fruiting raspberries are on their last legs. Having
had them for about 15 years, over this last few years they have been
poorer and poorer, culminating this year in a small crop, and very few
new canes for next years fruit.

I plan to dig ut (may be) half the row, but due to lack of space I've no
where else to plant new canes, except where the old ones come out.

1) Am I asking for trouble replanting in the same spot?
2) What is the best method of preparation and fertilisation for the
ground before replanting?

Ta

Roger T

700 ft up in Mid Wales

Old 19-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin View Post
My current summer fruiting raspberries are on their last legs.
1) Am I asking for trouble replanting in the same spot?
It's surely better to go somewhere else. Is there something else you could move/swap around? Or, failing that, how about putting autumn fruiters there? Autumn fruiters are much less prone to problems, and the "most different" within raspberries. Or if you already have some autumn fruiters, perhaps you could dig those out two and replant both areas swapping them around?
Old 19-08-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-08-19, Roger Tonkin wrote:
My current summer fruiting raspberries are on their last legs. Having
had them for about 15 years, over this last few years they have been
poorer and poorer, culminating this year in a small crop, and very few
new canes for next years fruit.

I plan to dig ut (may be) half the row, but due to lack of space I've no
where else to plant new canes, except where the old ones come out.

1) Am I asking for trouble replanting in the same spot?

Yes. The reason the canes are fading is more than likely becuase of a
build up in disease.

Old 20-08-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-08-19, Roger wrote:
My current summer fruiting raspberries are on their last legs. Having
had them for about 15 years, over this last few years they have been
poorer and poorer, culminating this year in a small crop, and very few
new canes for next years fruit.

I plan to dig ut (may be) half the row, but due to lack of space I've no
where else to plant new canes, except where the old ones come out.

1) Am I asking for trouble replanting in the same spot?

Yes. The reason the canes are fading is more than likely becuase of a
build up in disease.

I have successfully replaced raspberries in the same spot, it involved
quite a bit of work though. I dug out the top soil and swapped it with
another area. Worth a Try I think.