GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes for alkaline soil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193317-potatoes-alkaline-soil.html)

Vegegrower 20-08-2010 09:44 AM

Potatoes for alkaline soil

Can anyone suggest a good variety please.

I've tried first early Rockets but they didn't yield well and were quite "crumbly" after boiling.

Bob Hobden 20-08-2010 05:29 PM

Potatoes for alkaline soil

"Vegegrower" wrote

Can anyone suggest a good variety please.

I've tried first early Rockets but they didn't yield well and were quite
"crumbly" after boiling.

Rocket is considered a waxy potato. Due to the very dry weather whilst they
were growing this year most early (FE) spuds were a bit floury and I expect
the second earlies (SE) and the maincrops (MC) to be likewise to some
extent, despite watering. Make excellent roast potatoes though so it's not
all bad. :-)

I'm afraid there is no alternative to trial and experiment, potatoes are
also very dependant on soil type so you just have to try different varieties
until you find one you like and that grows well for you. We moved allotment
5 years ago and are still trying varieties although Kestrel (SE) has again
proved excellent.
Orla (FE) did well for us this year despite the weather but Premier was a
disaster; we have acid clay/silt so useless information for you.

The list on this site may be of some use....
http://www.charlton-park.co.uk/potatoes.html

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

harry 20-08-2010 08:34 PM

Potatoes for alkaline soil

On 20 Aug, 09:44, Vegegrower
wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good variety please.

I've tried first early Rockets but they didn't yield well and were quite
"crumbly" after boiling.

--
Vegegrower

Forget it I would say. Potatoes are cheap enough anyway.
Concentrate on expensive veg.

uriel13 23-08-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegegrower (Post 897919)
Can anyone suggest a good variety please.

I've tried first early Rockets but they didn't yield well and were quite "crumbly" after boiling.

Hi Vegegrower,

It think it may be better to try lowering the pH of your soil, there is a composting method called Bokashi which produces a highly acidic pickled compost.

You can use all types of kitchen waste including fried food waste and chicken carcasses, its just a thought but may be worth considering.

I have added 3 links to give you some information on Bokashi, hope this helps to revitalise your soil.

uriel13

Bokashi Bucket and Bran From Bokashibucket.co.uk

Index :: Bokashi Direct

http://www.eeat.or.th/articles/HowEffectiveareEM.pdf

Escargo[_2_] 23-08-2010 03:07 PM

Potatoes for alkaline soil

harry wrote in news:771c32b7-7145-44bd-bfcf-
:

On 20 Aug, 09:44, Vegegrower
wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good variety please.

I've tried first early Rockets but they didn't yield well and were quite
"crumbly" after boiling.

--
Vegegrower

Forget it I would say. Potatoes are cheap enough anyway.
Concentrate on expensive veg.

You are IMO very wrong.
New potatoes grown in the garden, and dug nice and early and boiled are a
feast on their own.

The OP mentioned that the crop was crumbly(lack of water) and did not yield
well.
Ours were a bit disappointing this year too!

I have read threads in this group with different gardeners saying which veg
were a success and which were not and they vary so radically, and it leads
me to beleive that it is the different soil conditions which causes very
varied results.

Would it be very interesting to get a survey in this group stating
ph/geography/yield
And in the case of ph how you alter yours. Why? When.

I have read the above again and again and you must not think that I am
attacking anyone here.

If our family continues to have an interest in our veg garden we need to
know these things or we waste our time.

Sandra and Micky