GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Roses from seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193385-growing-roses-seeds.html)

Jimgentracer 24-08-2010 04:33 PM

Growing Roses from seeds

Can anyone help me?

I am looking for a simple user friendly guide to growing some roses from seeds of the plants I already have in my garden

Is this possible for someone as new to gardening as I am?

only had a greenhouse since July this year and so far Ive produced a fair amount of growth

kay 24-08-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgentracer (Post 898341)
Can anyone help me?

I am looking for a simple user friendly guide to growing some roses from seeds of the plants I already have in my garden

Is this possible for someone as new to gardening as I am?

only had a greenhouse since July this year and so far Ive produced a fair amount of growth

Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions. Why do you want to grow roses from seed - for fun, to produce new varieties, or just to get more roses? If you just want to propagate more roses, taking cuttings is easier and quicker.

If the rose seeds you're planning to grow are from hybrid roses, or from a species rose growing near enough to another species rose for pollinating insects to visit both, then the roses you grow from seed won't necessarily be like the parent. But this may be what you're after!

It certainly should be possible - dog roses, Rosa rugosa and Rosa glauca all self seed readily.

Jimgentracer 26-08-2010 11:40 PM

I purely want the sense of achievement of growing a rose from a seed

I have managed to grow a tomatoe from a seed taken from a tomato I had half eaten

I did the same with yellow pepper ( 30 plants are growing nicely from the few seeds of one pepper I used

Same results are now happening with a red pepper, the seeds have just germinated and the green little shoots have begun to appear

These results have urged me to try a Rose now

No other reason but the sense of achiement as I have already grown a few roses from cuttings

Thanks for your question though

No questions is silly or daft except the one that is not asked!

kay 27-08-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgentracer (Post 898577)
I purely want the sense of achievement of growing a rose from a seed

That's a lovely reason!

I haven't deliberately grown a rose from seed. But if I were, I would remove the seeds from the hip, and give them a wash. This is because the fruit is designed so that a bird will eat it and then excrete the seeds at a distance, and some berries contain germination inhibitors so that the seed doesn't try to germinate prematurely.

Then I'd plant them straight away, with just a fine scattering of soil on top - the rule of thumb that you should plant bulbs at a depth equal to twice the diameter of the bulb seems to work quite well for seeds too. I'd make sure the compost was good and moist, then I'd enclose the pot/seed tray in a clear plastic bag to keep the moisture in.

If nothing happened in the first 3 weeks, I'd make sure the compost was still moist, then put the pot/seed tray (still in its plastic bag) somewhere safe outside, and forget about it till next April. Some seeds are triggered by a period of cold - if they germinate in warm weather, they might emerge just in time for winter, whereas if they don't germinate until they've had a period of cold, they're more likely to germinate when the weather is warming up for spring.