Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poor year for runner beans

My runner beans have been awful this year. I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

POOR????????????

Lack of preparation of the bed for them

Waaaaaaaaaaay before you are ready to plant, dig trench. Lay old newspapers
in said trench. Fill with old well rotted compost. Two beans to each stick.
Water well. Water well. Water well.

Give surplus crop to neighbours after you are fed up with them and the
freezer is full.

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

news:1jo7ayj.b3u8idcjm4bmN%pfjames2000@googlemail. com...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jo7ayj.b3u8idcjm4bmN%pfjames2000@googlemail. com...
My runner beans have been awful this year. I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

Peter

It probably depends more on location.
I am in Cheshire, where are you ?

Just a few plants, but the freezer and our tummies are filling fast.
We have also come across a delicious green bean and tomato (also in glut
mode) soup that freezes well.

We don't do much preparation - the whole veg plot is rotovated and the
(saved)seed is buried in its usual position.
and a bit of chicken pooh pellets and water occasionally.

All this trench business is just too much hard work (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2010 17:56, Peter James wrote:
My runner beans have been awful this year. I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

Peter

My freezer has been full of 'em for weeks. Giving them away now. The
secret is simply plenty of water and they like to be fed... mine have
had a rich diet of pee! I've not mentioned that small detail to the
people I give the surplus beans to though :-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Sep, 16:56, (Peter James) wrote:
My runner beans have been awful this year. *I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. *They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
from being gruntled.
P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975

Did you had flowers? they may not have been polinated

Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jo7ayj.b3u8idcjm4bmN%pfjames2000@googlemail. com...
My runner beans have been awful this year. I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

Mine have been very poor as well, I'm in Windsor, I think the lack of rain
had a lot to do with it, and as I'm on a water meter I was a bit reluctant
to water them a lot.

Alan

Peter

Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Water butts. We have 5 across the back of the garage at the bottom of the
gardens, one under the veranda and one at the side of the house. Runner
Beans are very thirsty and MUST be well watered and have their roots into
well prepared 'moist' soil. Newspapers and old compost in the trench.
Preparation and care is soooooooooooooooooo important with them.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 04-09-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

POOR????????????

Lack of preparation of the bed for them

Waaaaaaaaaaay before you are ready to plant, dig trench. Lay old newspapers
in said trench. Fill with old well rotted compost. Two beans to each stick.
Water well. Water well. Water well.

Give surplus crop to neighbours after you are fed up with them and the
freezer is full.

Unfortunately, I only got my allotment in mid-May and was unable to do
any preparatory work other than dig it over, and rush to plant out some
vegetables. The reuslt was a disaster as the rabbits got the lot.
However, since then the Council have put in a rabbit proof fence, and
I've fenced my plot off as well, and replanted.
But as I said, the runner beans were a disaster, and the french beans
not much better. However, my cauliflower are magnificent the curds
are the size of beach balls, and the leeks and cabbages are doing well.
I'll get some over-wintering onions in next week, and the fruit should
all arrive this month for planting out.
I'll be better preapared for next year, that's for sure.

Peter
Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jo7ayj.b3u8idcjm4bmN%pfjames2000@googlemail. com...
My runner beans have been awful this year. I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

This year, for the first time in my life I planted something, beans, painted
lady in a sandy soil.
Germination in pots was poor, about 14 out of 50. The 14 have so far
produced 22lbs of beans and I'm picking them well before I need to (6 to 8
inches) to avoid string.
I also planted 10 moneymaker toms which we can't eat fast enough.
Beginners luck I spose.