GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Large Flowered Hibiscus Feedback (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193600-large-flowered-hibiscus-feedback.html)

Jake 06-09-2010 06:19 PM

Large Flowered Hibiscus Feedback

In another thread I said I was going to approach QVC about the large
flowered hibiscus plants I'd bought thru them (others have bought
direct from T&M). I've now had an email back from Richard Jackson
(QVC's "gardening expert"). He says the main secret is sun and warmth
at the right time - these plants have, apparently, done well over the
last couple of years in many town gardens where it's a bit warmer than
my rural garden.

So although they're hardy, I'm going to move mine (which are in tubs)
into the greenhouse to overwinter and then when they start to grow in
the early spring I'll move them into the conservatory which'll be nice
and warm for them. I'll move them outside when (and if) it warms up
next summer; otherwise I'll keep them indoors until (hopefully) the
buds start to break.

So it seems the trick will be to move yours to wherever they'll get
the most sun and warmth and then hope for a decent, dry summer.

Worth a try at least and then another exchange of experiences next
year.

Cheers

Bob Hobden 06-09-2010 10:38 PM

Large Flowered Hibiscus Feedback

[...]