Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default help ID animal poo!

Hi ,live in urban inner city -have seen foxes in garden before ,we have 3
cats and others visit/burgle via catflap. Think this poo is too small for
cats -I saw a pretty scrawny fox a few weeks ago mid-afternoon -5-6 yards
away ,fox just turned about and trotted off, hear them sometimes at night.

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

Thanks in advance , dave

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Sep, 11:15, "davej" wrote:
Hi ,live in urban inner city -have seen foxes in garden before ,we have 3
cats and others visit/burgle via catflap. Think this poo is too small for
cats -I saw a pretty scrawny fox a few weeks ago mid-afternoon -5-6 yards
away ,fox just turned about and trotted off, hear them sometimes at night.

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

Thanks in advance , dave

Looks like fox to me

Jonathan
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On 8 Sep, 11:15, "davej" wrote:
Hi ,live in urban inner city -have seen foxes in garden before ,we have 3
cats and others visit/burgle via catflap. Think this poo is too small for
cats -I saw a pretty scrawny fox a few weeks ago mid-afternoon -5-6 yards
away ,fox just turned about and trotted off, hear them sometimes at
night.

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

Thanks in advance , dave

Looks like fox to me

Jonathan

Thanks , it just seems a bit small -I did consider hedgehog but haven't seen
one for years in our garden.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"davej" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi ,live in urban inner city -have seen foxes in garden before ,we have 3
cats and others visit/burgle via catflap. Think this poo is too small for
cats -I saw a pretty scrawny fox a few weeks ago mid-afternoon -5-6 yards
away ,fox just turned about and trotted off, hear them sometimes at night.

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

Thanks in advance , dave

I had a "scrawny fox" too - seems it is likely to be mange, and they are
likely to die soon.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5434 (20100908) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"davej" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On 8 Sep, 11:15, "davej" wrote:
Hi ,live in urban inner city -have seen foxes in garden before ,we have
3
cats and others visit/burgle via catflap. Think this poo is too small
for
cats -I saw a pretty scrawny fox a few weeks ago mid-afternoon -5-6
yards
away ,fox just turned about and trotted off, hear them sometimes at
night.

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

Thanks in advance , dave

Looks like fox to me

Jonathan

Thanks , it just seems a bit small -I did consider hedgehog but haven't
seen one for years in our garden.

It's far too small for a fox poo, theirs is small dog size and has a
pointed "tail" that turns upwards.
My guess is hedgehog.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Hi ,live in urban inner city -have seen foxes in garden before ,we have 3
cats and others visit/burgle via catflap. Think this poo is too small for
cats -I saw a pretty scrawny fox a few weeks ago mid-afternoon -5-6 yards
away ,fox just turned about and trotted off, hear them sometimes at night.

Imageshack - poozx.jpg

Imageshack - poo2.jpg

Thanks in advance , dave
Too small for fox. Fox is usually 8-10cm.

Hedgehog is 3-4cm.

Rat and mouse usually have rounded ends, but I'd have said it was that size of creature you were looking at. You could try gently teasing it apart and seeing what's in it - knowing what the animal was eating is often a good clue as to what sort of animal it was.
__________________
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:30:17 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

The last poo photo did look like R*t, tbh.
Being a chicken keeper I am very familar with them and their droppings.

Blooming big rat! With the can to scale 'em they appear to be about
an inch long, rat is around half an inch. I'd go for Hedgehog. Fox
would be larger and with the definite long pointed tail as has
already been mentioned.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:30:17 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

Imageshack - poozx.jpg

Imageshack - poo2.jpg

The last poo photo did look like R*t, tbh.
Being a chicken keeper I am very familar with them and their droppings.

Blooming big rat! With the can to scale 'em they appear to be about
an inch long, rat is around half an inch. I'd go for Hedgehog. Fox
would be larger and with the definite long pointed tail as has
already been mentioned.
.
See what you mean. But the first one, with the trowel, is a lot smaller, and I would have thought too small for hedgehog. Are they both from the same creature, or could they be from different creatures?
__________________
Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:30:17 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/poozx.jpg/

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/

The last poo photo did look like R*t, tbh.
Being a chicken keeper I am very familar with them and their droppings.

Blooming big rat! With the can to scale 'em they appear to be about
an inch long, rat is around half an inch. I'd go for Hedgehog. Fox
would be larger and with the definite long pointed tail as has
already been mentioned.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks all , I thought rat poo was just like big mouse droppings ,maybe up
to half inch, these are over an inch easily,maybe 1 and a 1/2 inch.
I'll try putting flour down to get "footprints" next dry night.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:37:31 +0000, kay wrote:

'Imageshack - poozx.jpg' (http://tinyurl.com/26uex4m)

'Imageshack - poo2.jpg' (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/poo2.jpg/)

Blooming big rat! With the can to scale 'em they appear to be

about
an inch long, rat is around half an inch. I'd go for Hedgehog. Fox
would be larger and with the definite long pointed tail as has
already been mentioned.

See what you mean. But the first one, with the trowel, is a lot smaller,

No really each lump I'd still put at over an inch long they are both
curled up and that is a hand shovel of some sort handle about an inch
in dia?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post

No really each lump I'd still put at over an inch long they are both
curled up and that is a hand shovel of some sort handle about an inch
in dia?
The first is noticeably narrower compared with length, and I've not seen hedgehog poo curled up like that. Almost looks like bird poo, apart from the absence of the usual accompanying white stuff.

The second is a reasonable shape for hedgehog, but probably isn't as large as 3-4cm. Young hedgehog?

I think we can reassure the OP that it's not fox!

Animal Poo? Identification TheScullster United Kingdom 21 17-07-2009 08:35 PM
The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity that funds and promotes exclusively non-animal research techniques to replace animal experiments Cerumen[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2007 04:57 PM
Worms.................do they eat bunny poo and will it help my graden? Brett Miler Lawns 1 07-03-2006 09:51 PM
caterpiller poo Heidi Gardening 4 11-09-2003 11:22 PM
Cat poo ( Cats again) Burl Gardening 5 25-05-2003 06:56 PM