GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193645-plant-id-please.html)

brass monkey 09-09-2010 01:32 AM

Plant ID please

http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/s...=IMG_0113b.jpg
It must be 6'6" and I've no idea what it is.
TIA.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 09-09-2010 02:14 AM

Plant ID please

In message , brass monkey
writes
http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/s...n=view&current
=IMG_0113b.jpg
It must be 6'6" and I've no idea what it is.
TIA.

Evening primrose. (Competes with Forsythia for the possession of
(metaphorically) luminous yellow flowers which stand out in poor light.)
I don't attempt to distinguish the various forms of this, and just
record them all as Oenothera biennis agg., but someone might go further.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Mike Lyle 11-09-2010 08:19 PM

Plant ID please

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , brass monkey
writes
http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/s...n=view&current
=IMG_0113b.jpg
It must be 6'6" and I've no idea what it is.
TIA.

Evening primrose. (Competes with Forsythia for the possession of
(metaphorically) luminous yellow flowers which stand out in poor
light.) I don't attempt to distinguish the various forms of this, and
just record them all as Oenothera biennis agg., but someone might go
further.

A six-footer is a very fine specimen. If you want to keep its progeny, I
found they grew and multiplied well (though not that tall) in South Wet
Wales in a stone path with no "weed-proof" membrane, but post-builders
soil about six inches below: all came from a single volunteer of unknown
provenance. I loved them, but was advised to get them out when I put the
house up for sale: some people just want things antiseptic.

--
Mike.