GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoes ripening in blotches (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193681-tomatoes-ripening-blotches.html)

Roger Tonkin 11-09-2010 07:58 PM

Tomatoes ripening in blotches

Went down the greenhouse today to pick the toms. First few I went for
were very red and slightly soft on top, lifted gently and off the stalk
they came, BUT when turned over the bottoms were blotchy
green/red/yellowish.

Some of the others were blotchy on top and fine underneath.

Any ides of the cause? I know I've had erratic watering from a neighbour
whilst I was away so there are a few with blossom end rot. Could this be
the reason?

Hoping they will ripen evenly when left on the windowsill.

Roger T

Compo in Caithness 12-09-2010 12:00 AM

On 11 Sep, 19:58, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Went down the greenhouse today to pick the toms. First few I went for
were very red and slightly soft on top, lifted gently and off the stalk
they came, BUT when turned over the bottoms were blotchy
green/red/yellowish.

Some of the others were blotchy on top and fine underneath.

Any ides of the cause? I know I've had erratic watering from a neighbour
whilst I was away so there are a few with blossom end rot. Could this be
the reason?

Hoping they will ripen evenly when left on the windowsill.

Roger T

Is it too much heat? Something I have no experience of, living in the
far north of Scotland, but too much direct sunlight can cause blotchy
ripening - are they in a greenhouse and is it perhaps not shaded?

Pete[_9_] 12-09-2010 09:27 AM

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message

Is it too much heat? Something I have no experience of, living in the
far north of Scotland, but too much direct sunlight can cause blotchy
ripening - are they in a greenhouse and is it perhaps not shaded?

I would not think so.
Mine are in always in an unshaded house and are exposed to extreme heat on
occasions - 100f +.

Blossom end rot on the early ripeners, is all I usually suffer from - water
problems I know !

That reduces to minimal on the subsequent croppings.
Cause elsewhere I suspect.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

harry 12-09-2010 04:11 PM

Tomatoes ripening in blotches

On 11 Sep, 19:58, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Went down the greenhouse today to pick the toms. First few I went for
were very red and slightly soft on top, lifted gently and off the stalk
they came, BUT when turned over the bottoms were blotchy
green/red/yellowish.

Some of the others were blotchy on top and fine underneath.

Any ides of the cause? I know I've had erratic watering from a neighbour
whilst I was away so there are a few with blossom end rot. Could this be
the reason?

Hoping they will ripen evenly when left on the windowsill.

Roger T

Not enought potassium/potash or too much heat.
Tomatoes need tomatoe fertilizer on a regular basis (high in potash).

Roger Tonkin 13-09-2010 12:30 PM

Tomatoes ripening in blotches

In article dbc13f5f-0b1d-4459-afdd-590a47300d05
@c16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...
Not enought potassium/potash or too much heat.
Tomatoes need tomatoe fertilizer on a regular basis (high in potash).

Possibly, heat is not really controlled much, no shading in greenhouse,
but then I've never had the problem in previous years.

Feeding is a possibilit, as this year I invested in a drip feed watering
system (cheap from Aldi), and realised that I've only been feeding once
a week, with a 10 litre can doing four grow bags (3 bags and 3 pots
actually!)

Thing that confi=uses is that some fruit are fine and others effected on
the same plant! Also fruit size is very large this year!

Roger T