GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   slow worm saga (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193826-slow-worm-saga.html)

Ann Lancing 21-09-2010 04:39 PM

slow worm saga

They have now been moved to their new garden, and I have plenty of snails
and slugs for them!

The compost bin is about half full, do I need to put some more material in
there for the winter. i.e
straw or ordinary garden compost?

Ann

Christina Websell[_2_] 21-09-2010 05:03 PM

slow worm saga

"Ann Lancing" wrote in message

They have now been moved to their new garden, and I have plenty of snails
and slugs for them!

The compost bin is about half full, do I need to put some more material in
there for the winter. i.e
straw or ordinary garden compost?

I'm not an expert on this, but if you've moved them in situ as you say, I
think they like what they have already. In your position I wouldn't do
anything.
Tina

Bob Hobden 21-09-2010 05:50 PM

slow worm saga

"Christina Websell" wrote ...
"Ann Lancing" wrote in message

They have now been moved to their new garden, and I have plenty of snails
and slugs for them!

The compost bin is about half full, do I need to put some more material
in there for the winter. i.e
straw or ordinary garden compost?

I'm not an expert on this, but if you've moved them in situ as you say, I
think they like what they have already. In your position I wouldn't do
anything.

The bin they used to inhabit at our last site was a hot compost bin and was
insulated on all sides and top with thick sheet polystyrene, seems it kept
them warmer over winter so they didn't go dormant and kept eating our
snails.
Perhaps a cover to keep the warmth in and too much rain out?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden