Old 23-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Post Garden mirror information

Hi there

I am looking to put a garden mirror along the back wall of my garden to give the look of more space, as its a small garden and want it to look better.

I found this website selling garden mirrors: Garden Mirrors

But has anyone had any experience installing these type of mirrors or cleaning them? I'm sure it will look ok once put in but what about long term? I don't want my garden to look like someone is fly-tipping mirrors in there! :-)
Old 23-09-2010, 04:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy-Grower View Post
Hi there

I am looking to put a garden mirror along the back wall of my garden to give the look of more space, as its a small garden and want it to look better.

I found this website selling garden mirrors: Garden Mirrors

But has anyone had any experience installing these type of mirrors or cleaning them? I'm sure it will look ok once put in but what about long term? I don't want my garden to look like someone is fly-tipping mirrors in there! :-)
Would there be a problem with bird strikes?
__________________
Old 23-09-2010, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden mirror information

Chris Hogg wrote:

(http://tinyurl.com/3akmkqp)

But has anyone had any experience installing these type of mirrors or
cleaning them? I'm sure it will look ok once put in but what about
long term? I don't want my garden to look like someone is
fly-tipping mirrors in there! :-)

AIUI, mirrors in the garden fool birds into thinking there's open
space there and they fly into them at high speed. Be prepared to
collect many dead birds with broken necks.

I think it must depend on the precise situation. When I moved here two
years ago there were mirrors neatly installed on a four-foot-high
retaining wall facing the house at a distance of about fifteen feet. I
did have some misgivings, but decided to leave them for a while to see
what happened, as I didn't think birds would interpret what they saw as
a way out: and there have, indeed, been no casualties at all.

--
Mike.

Old 23-09-2010, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
AIUI, mirrors in the garden fool birds into thinking there's open
space there and they fly into them at high speed. Be prepared to
collect many dead birds with broken necks.

Some time ago when working, we put bird feeders outside our office window -
about 20ft away. We couldn't understand that often in late afternoon, we
would get small birds flying into the window.
We evetually relised that the sunset was reflected in the window and the
birds woud fly towards the relection. We saved a few stunned birds and moved
the feeder to a safer place.

Bill

Old 27-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered User

Wow thanks guys, never even thought of the bird problem!

But I was actually thinking of having the mirror low down and long rather than upright.

There is a wall at the bottom of my garden so I was going to have a 2" x 6" mirror run along the back of the plants so it would reflect the plants and the garden. Not sure birds would see it with it being so low.

I'll try and post a picture to better explain.

Thanks

Old 27-09-2010, 09:58 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy-Grower View Post
Wow thanks guys, never even thought of the bird problem!

But I was actually thinking of having the mirror low down and long rather than upright.

There is a wall at the bottom of my garden so I was going to have a 2" x 6" mirror run along the back of the plants so it would reflect the plants and the garden. Not sure birds would see it with it being so low.

I'll try and post a picture to better explain.

Thanks
If you've got plants in front of the mirror, you wouldn't get the bird strike problem. I would have expected you to get algae growing on the mirror, and mud splashes on it, so you'd want to wipe it down now and again - so leave a 6 inch space behind the plants to get to the mirror. But I've not done this myself so there may be other problems I haven't thought of.

many balls eerily play the think mirror Prancing Nincompoop United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 02:19 PM
her cloud was bad, fresh, and calls outside the mirror Alexandra Aldredge United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:45 AM
Plant mirror Tony Gardening 4 23-06-2004 03:04 PM
Daily Mirror gardening kit offer dommy United Kingdom 5 10-05-2003 07:41 PM
MIrror as Tank background Kenny Horn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 05:32 AM