Old 19-10-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT opening Kilner jars

Judith in France wrote:

One of these days Martin, I really will slap you :-) They do have
some nice porcelain urinal bottles for men, would you like me to save
1 for you? :-))))

With matching bedpan?

Now if they have a mincer with a sausage snout, I'd be pleased to
contribute and pay P&P.

--
Rusty
Old 19-10-2010, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Do you grow hyacinth bulbs in them or are you taking the p.

Judith, find him a pair of scissors...

--
Rusty
Old 20-10-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

Now boys, play nicely. Why does Rusty need a mincer?

Earlier post contains a hint...

I have three mincers, but none of them has a sausage snout.

--
Rusty
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered User

You've made this thread a total nonsense
__________________
miele spares
Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spares2you
writes

You've made this thread a total nonsense

Now there's irony...
Lovely bit of context-less prose. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 02-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?
Nearly foolproof, I use blunt pliers to grab the protruding edge of the rubber seal and pull firmly. When possible it helps to reposition the bite to get a better grip. all being well the seal will be pulled outwards enough to release the vacuum and hey presto. Job done. The only thing to go wrong is the seal tab tearing off in which case plan B must be used.
Tony
Old 17-04-2015, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, 1 October 2010 09:29:34 UTC+1, Moonraker wrote:
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

In France you can buy a tool like a giant sardine can opener. It works just like that - wrap the tongue on the seal round it and pull. Unfortunately my jars of fruit are in England and the opener is in France!
Old 18-04-2015, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Pam Moore wrote:

wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

In France you can buy a tool like a giant sardine can opener. It works
just like that - wrap the tongue on the seal round it and pull.
Unfortunately my jars of fruit are in England and the opener is in
France!

Ask Jeremy Clarkson. He is descended from the Kilner family!

He probably rams them with a 4x4.

Much more likely to be an AMG Supercharged V8 Mercedes. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-04-2015, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Friday, 1 October 2010 09:29:34 UTC+1, Moonraker wrote:
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

In France you can buy a tool like a giant sardine can opener. It works
just like that - wrap the tongue on the seal round it and pull.
Unfortunately my jars of fruit are in England and the opener is in France!

You can get the same in Germany. why not here in Uk?

Old 19-04-2015, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Friday, 1 October 2010 09:29:34 UTC+1, Moonraker wrote:
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

In France you can buy a tool like a giant sardine can opener. It works
just like that - wrap the tongue on the seal round it and pull.
Unfortunately my jars of fruit are in England and the opener is in
France!

You can get the same in Germany. why not here in Uk?

Do you mean like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZcRS7fc9s

Or like this?:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13500/Zyliss%C2%AE-Jar-Opener

I can't really visualise what you mean.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 30-04-2015, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 17:55:00 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

You can get the same in Germany. why not here in Uk?

There's a lot of things you can get in Germany, that you can't get in UK.
--

isn't that just the truth.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, October 1, 2010 at 9:29:34 AM UTC+1, Moonraker wrote:
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

A pair of pliers to pull out the rubber seal and release the lower pressure inside.

Jonathan

Sterilizing Kilner jars Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 74 19-09-2013 06:44 PM
Kilner jars. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 62 05-09-2013 01:46 AM
Kilner Jars Moonraker United Kingdom 5 14-09-2010 09:08 PM
Preserving your crop in Kilner Jars kilnerman United Kingdom 0 28-04-2007 12:54 PM