Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT opening Kilner jars

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?

Don't know much about Kilner jars but thinking about it
there can't be a complete vacuum in them or they would
implode, so try immersing in warm/hot water and the small amount
of air in there would expand making the lid easier to remove.

I may be completely wrong but it's a thought and worth a try ??

Wally

Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Moonraker wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.
2. There is a plastic tool with a strap attached that you fit around
the lid. Tighten with the handle and pressure from your hand should
release the air pressure. I nearly bought one some time ago. for
opening new jars, for my grip is not as strong as it used to be.

Cheers
Don
Old 01-10-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening
them?

Don't know much about Kilner jars but thinking about it
there can't be a complete vacuum in them or they would
implode, so try immersing in warm/hot water and the small amount
of air in there would expand making the lid easier to remove.

I may be completely wrong but it's a thought and worth a try ??

Technically what's in them is a depression. The word vacuum is used
incorrectly in many instances, notably "vacuum" cleaner or flask. In the
event that the depression in the jar has been caused by filling the jar with
hot contents which then contracted on cooling[1], heating up again should
release the lid when the pressures equalise, although this may take some
time. Otherwise it's down to the strap round the lid.

Steve

[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2010 13:15, Don Gray wrote:
In
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.
2. There is a plastic tool with a strap attached that you fit around
the lid. Tighten with the handle and pressure from your hand should
release the air pressure. I nearly bought one some time ago. for
opening new jars, for my grip is not as strong as it used to be.

Cheers
Don

I have one of those, the domestic equivalent of a strap wrench,
absolutely essential to limp wristed old man. I don't think et will fit
around the glass lid though, I do use it to loosen the plastic screw
cap. I think in order to equalise the pressure (I realise it is not a
vacuum, but that describes it best to most peeps) I think it would be
necessary to place them in an oven, as they were to be bottled.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:29:34 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

Ask Jeremy Clarkson!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:

[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

By putting it in under pressure?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?

I passed a charity shop the other day that had a box of a dozen Kilner jars
for sale. They were of the older type, with metal screw sections. They
were extremely rusty, and I wouldn't have wanted to put anything remotely
edible in them.

They wanted £50 for them!

--
Kathy

Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2010 16:48, Kathy McIntosh wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I passed a charity shop the other day that had a box of a dozen Kilner
jars for sale. They were of the older type, with metal screw sections.
They were extremely rusty, and I wouldn't have wanted to put anything
remotely edible in them.

They wanted £50 for them!

The annoying thing is that I inherited a lot from my mother, however
they stopped making the lids, so I threw them away. Now they have
stopped making the glass topped ones and have reverted to the old style,
so now obtaining spares for mine is virtually impossible.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

Ask Jeremy Clarkson!!!

Pam in Bristol

Put it in a microwave for an hour or so on full power.

Usual disclaimers.....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?
--

Not in this country, but when I was in Germany at a fleamarket there was
something to be bought for 1 euro to do just that. No-one knew what it was

Tina

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Don Gray" wrote in message
In message
Moonraker wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.

No! That will react with the rubber seal.
Graham

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip the
lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of opening them?
--

IME, it's often that the lid is glued on by dried syrup. I usually put the
neck area under a hot running tap for 15-30 secs to remove any excess. Then

Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
[1] Well, how did you think they got the "vacuum" in a tin of paint?

By putting it in under pressure?

You can always buy packets of dehydrated vacuum

--
Rusty

Sterilizing Kilner jars Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 74 19-09-2013 07:44 PM
Kilner jars. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 62 05-09-2013 02:46 AM
Kilner Jars Moonraker United Kingdom 5 14-09-2010 10:08 PM
Preserving your crop in Kilner Jars kilnerman United Kingdom 0 28-04-2007 01:54 PM