Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peche de vigne

This is the peach that is to supermarket peaches as a bullace or
traditional damson is to supermarket plums (ordinary ones).

It has grown as a very branching small tree, currently about 10'
high and clearly aiming to compete with the walnut. I had to
remove some peach leaf curl leaves but haven't done much spraying.
Its flowers are what you would expect - attractive.

It cropped quite well this year, with c. 50 smallish peaches.
I picked most as windfalls, but even the others were showing signs
of not keeping even for a short while.

Raw, they are slightly woolly with a bitter aftertaste, but that
disappears on cooking. They make excellent jam (which tastes of
peach, unlike with the supermarket ones and the commercial form),
and very good crumble (for people who like some bite in their food).
We are also going to try a Bellini cocktail with slightly stewed and
sieved pulp, but haven't done so yet.

Some seeds are available, but no guarantee of germination, as it
is all self-pollinated. Send Email.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

The ones you sent me are all planted in seed-trays, ta. I have a bed
beside the garden path (young ladies for the leading-up of), and with
the exception of the hydrangea on the end, the shrubs it had growing
there were killed-off last winter.

I had intended planting a hedge with those/any which germinated, but
your description of the growth habit is making me think again...

--
Rusty