Old 15-10-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lets have a few harvest discussions

Instead of the bickering.

I will start the proceedings(if i have spelled it correctly that is!)

We have loved the outdoor tomatoes.
Thats nearly it.
To be honest we have eaten just about everything grown, apart from the
later crops, carrot included in later crops, parsnips, swede, brussels
sprouts and err leeks.

My name is Baz but my wife calles me Gunner 'cos i'm gunner do this and
gunner do that. OK. that didn't work.

Come on and humour me, lets get a proper thing going.

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Oct, 17:20, Baz wrote:
Instead of the bickering.

I will start the proceedings(if i have spelled it correctly that is!)

We have loved the outdoor tomatoes.
Thats nearly it.
To be honest we have eaten just about everything grown, apart from the
later crops, carrot included in later crops, parsnips, swede, brussels
sprouts and err leeks.

My name is Baz but my wife calles me Gunner 'cos i'm gunner do this and
gunner do that. OK. that didn't work.

Come on and humour me, lets get a proper thing going.

Baz

Are you also a gofur? (Go for this and go for that.)
Old 15-10-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2010 17:20, Baz wrote:
Instead of the bickering.

I will start the proceedings(if i have spelled it correctly that is!)

We have loved the outdoor tomatoes.
Thats nearly it.
To be honest we have eaten just about everything grown, apart from the
later crops, carrot included in later crops, parsnips, swede, brussels
sprouts and err leeks.

My name is Baz but my wife calles me Gunner 'cos i'm gunner do this and
gunner do that. OK. that didn't work.

Come on and humour me, lets get a proper thing going.

Baz

Tomatoes coming out of my ears, always plant too many in the greenhouse,
turned them into lots of ratatouille and polonaise sauce.
Still lots of Cucumber to eat, pickled quite a few but with the salad
leaves, radishes, carrots still growing looking forward to stews in the
winter, salads can get boring after a while.
All my apples dropped of the tree this week (Worcester Pomain) need to
turn them into something soon as they do not last long.
Still picking the Beetroot for salads, will have to pickle them soon as
the season gets on they get too old for salads.
Did not grow any Leeks this year as short of space although I love them,
planted Onions instead & a very good crop it was, just spent the last
hour stringing them up

Another Baz

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Old 15-10-2010, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Corporal Jones wrote in news:jQ%to.1877
:

On 15/10/2010 17:20, Baz wrote:
[...]

Cpl. Jones, I hope it was just the onions you strung up cos they dont like
it up em you know. The fuzzywuzzies.
Seriously you have had a blinding year.
Do you do good every year?
We seem to alternate between good and adequate, never what we set out to
do. But i guess it just seems that way as we eat things as we go along.
Going to have to buy some tomatoes this week for the first time in ages.

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
To be honest we have eaten just about everything grown, apart from the
later crops, carrot included in later crops, parsnips, swede, brussels
sprouts and err leeks.

When are you expecting your carrots to be ready? Mine were very late in
germinating and are still in the "not looking worth harvesting" stage. Will
they get frost damaged if I leave them too long?
(I have never had any success with carrots, don't know much about them)

Our spare bed is full to the ceiling with pumpkins atm. Lucky my dad is on
holiday and not likely to pop round to visit! :-)

Old 15-10-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2010 19:52, Judith in France wrote:

I've been here, I think, 14 years and I don't think I have ever
seen anyone complain about anyone's spelling, so there!

I have a glut of Tomatoes, many different varities. I have made
chutney and pickle but I still have enough to feed the 5,000. Next
year I will plant less.

That should be spelled "varieties" ;-)

(Only teasing)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 15-10-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
To be honest we have eaten just about everything grown, apart from
the later crops, carrot included in later crops, parsnips, swede,
brussels sprouts and err leeks.

When are you expecting your carrots to be ready? Mine were very late
in germinating and are still in the "not looking worth harvesting"
stage. Will they get frost damaged if I leave them too long?
(I have never had any success with carrots, don't know much about
them)

Our spare bed is full to the ceiling with pumpkins atm. Lucky my dad
is on holiday and not likely to pop round to visit! :-)

My carrots are ready now vicky, or at least most are.
In March I sowed a patch with a packet of Early Nantes and 2 packets of
Autumn King. The Autumn King were bigger at the thinning stage than the
Early Nantes are now. I will not grow earlies again.
I have some real corking big AK's that are going to be dug up this weekend
an saved somehow, may be in sand I can't say because I have never had a
crop(due to carrot fly), this is my first and am very happy with them.

Regarding frost, what I am going to do as an experiment is to leave a few
in the ground with a bit of compost on top as insulation and see what
happens.

Swap a carrot or 2 for a pumpkin, no let your dad have his fun, if you
blindfold him he might f.............censored.

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
On 15/10/2010 19:52, Judith in France wrote:

I've been here, I think, 14 years and I don't think I have ever
seen anyone complain about anyone's spelling, so there!

I have a glut of Tomatoes, many different varities. I have made
chutney and pickle but I still have enough to feed the 5,000. Next
year I will plant less.

That should be spelled "varieties" ;-)

"Fewer" would be good, too.

(Only teasing)

Me too.

--
Mike.

Old 15-10-2010, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
On 15/10/2010 19:52, Judith in France wrote:

I've been here, I think, 14 years and I don't think I have ever
seen anyone complain about anyone's spelling, so there!

I have a glut of Tomatoes, many different varities. I have made
chutney and pickle but I still have enough to feed the 5,000. Next
year I will plant less.

That should be spelled "varieties" ;-)

"Fewer" would be good, too.

(Only teasing)

Me too.

Perhaps nobody has bin such a bad speller before !

"tomatoes" would be better as well.

Old 15-10-2010, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:4cb8b814$0
:

On 15/10/2010 19:52, Judith in France wrote:

I've been here, I think, 14 years and I don't think I have ever
seen anyone complain about anyone's spelling, so there!

I have a glut of Tomatoes, many different varities. I have made
chutney and pickle but I still have enough to feed the 5,000. Next
year I will plant less.

That should be spelled "varieties" ;-)

(Only teasing)

Noted, but you know, some of us just do not know how to spell.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in news:i9afh4$uv2$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

David in Normandy wrote:
On 15/10/2010 19:52, Judith in France wrote:

I've been here, I think, 14 years and I don't think I have ever
seen anyone complain about anyone's spelling, so there!

I have a glut of Tomatoes, many different varities. I have made
chutney and pickle but I still have enough to feed the 5,000. Next
year I will plant less.

That should be spelled "varieties" ;-)

"Fewer" would be good, too.

(Only teasing)

Me too.

And a grammer lesson.
Very good.

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote
Instead of the bickering.

Us! Bicker? Never.

I will start the proceedings(if i have spelled it correctly that is!)

We have loved the outdoor tomatoes.
Thats nearly it.
To be honest we have eaten just about everything grown, apart from the
later crops, carrot included in later crops, parsnips, swede, brussels
sprouts and err leeks.

My name is Baz but my wife calles me Gunner 'cos i'm gunner do this and
gunner do that. OK. that didn't work.

Come on and humour me, lets get a proper thing going.

OK, especially good year for Butternut Squash, we eventually picked 42, half
of which we have already given away. Tomatoes were spectacular too, picked
one last week that weighed just over 1lb 5oz and only now are they stopping
producing good fruit, they have been extra sweet this year too once cooked
which is how we like them. The chillies have also produced a massive crop
and whilst we have picked the red ones we still haven't cropped the green
chillies for the freezer. All the cabbages have grown well and the winter
ones, Tundra and Savoys, are already larger than normal, however a lot of
the sprouts are blowing. Beans and peas did well except for a row of Dwarf
French which I planted to only get one plant.
The potatoes did suffer from slug damage as usual and some were very badly
affected with scab this year. Florence Fennel bolted straight away, and the
Khol Rabi got attacked by pigeons and then all split. The onions grew well
with only a few getting white rot but since harvesting have suffered with
rot in store (Neck Rot ?) so won't keep us supplied past Christmas (10
weeks!), Stuttgarter Giant are the worst and we won't grow those again.
Parsnips have cancer but are big and OK to eat. Carrots are good.
Soft fruit did well except the White Currant which is now destined for the
bin this winter to be replaced by a cherry tree.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-10-2010, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote
Instead of the bickering.

Us! Bicker? Never.

[...]

Can't imagine the dimentions of a tomato 1lb 5oz. Huge eh?
Apart from sprouts blowing, a bit of fennel bolting and a few onions
rotting how do you rate your crop?
BTW I think scab on the potatoes is mandatory this year. Unless they have
had the hose on them.Is scab due to underwatering?
Cancer on parsnips. Would you tell me what this is? I looked it up and no
references about it. Canker is it possibly?

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
BTW I think scab on the potatoes is mandatory this year. Unless they have
had the hose on them.Is scab due to underwatering?

I haven't noticed any more scab than normal this year, if anything it's a
bit down. You just need to get more scab-resistant spuds!