GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Beware of Gardener (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/19413-re-beware-gardener.html)

K Bains 30-04-2003 08:32 PM

Beware of Gardener

"Zizz" wrote in message

"K Bains" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , K Bains
writes
Please beware of Colin the Gardener from:-

Midland Lawn Cutting & Garden Services, Flat 10 Lowrey Court,

Oldbury,
West
Midlands, B68 9TZ

Mobile: 07901 912759
Tel: 0800 2982369

Colin took £25 to mow and weed a small garden, the job was never

done!
he
is
not trustworthy and I highly recommend people to keep away from his

slack
services.

Kind regards.

Kay

Kay I was very interested in this posting and I have cross posted to
uk.rec.gardening where a discussion has been going on re charges for
this type of service. Was the £25.00 the full payment and how long did
he say it would take him? Did he quote an hourly rate?

Mike

------
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th -

June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Hi there, he seemed very interested and said the first charge would be

£25
which I stupidly paid, its a small garden so any work carried out would

have
been finished within the hour. After that the hourly rate would have

been
£5 an hour.

When I rang Colin today, he said his van was broken and for me to find
another gardener, and then switched off his mobile.

I know I've been done out by this cheapskate of a dog!

And have you reported him to the trading standards office?

I did think about reporting him, but no such agreement/contract was signed,
I ain't got a case.

Mike 30-04-2003 08:32 PM

Beware of Gardener

In article , K Bains
writes

"Zizz" wrote in message

"K Bains" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

You most certainly have got a case. He has your money he came to your
house and gave you a quote.

Besides that, if you go to Trading Standards and report him, they may
already have a file on him, even if they haven't, they will start one!!

Doubt if he is a member, but have a look at various Associations such as
the Federation of the Self Employed, The Guild of Master Craftsmen and
the Chamber of Commerce.

:-))

K Bains 30-04-2003 09:32 PM

Beware of Gardener

"Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk wrote in message
And have you reported him to the trading standards office?

I did think about reporting him, but no such agreement/contract was

signed,
I ain't got a case.

Never mind the TSO, report it to police. Obtaining property by deception

is
a serious criminal offence.

It is also possible that a visit from a police officer may result in a

limp
excuse and the return of your money. Do not worry about signing a

contract,
this is not an issue. Also, do not worry about whether you have a case or
not. That is the job of the police.

Do not let him off the hook or he will pull the same trick on others.

Regards

Howard Neil

Thanks ... I have a friend who is a Policeman and will certaintly mention it
to him. It makes me so angry to think people could be so devious.

Sacha 30-04-2003 10:56 PM

Beware of Gardener

in article , Mike at
wrote on 30/4/03 8:58 pm:
snip

Besides that, if you go to Trading Standards and report him, they may
already have a file on him, even if they haven't, they will start one!!

Doubt if he is a member, but have a look at various Associations such as
the Federation of the Self Employed, The Guild of Master Craftsmen and
the Chamber of Commerce.

I don't want to add to Kay's burden but may I suggest changing your locks?
Please.
--

Sacha

Mike 30-04-2003 11:44 PM

Beware of Gardener

In article , Mike
writes

You most certainly have got a case. He has your money he came to your
house and gave you a quote.

Besides that, if you go to Trading Standards and report him, they may
already have a file on him, even if they haven't, they will start one!!

Doubt if he is a member, but have a look at various Associations such as
the Federation of the Self Employed, The Guild of Master Craftsmen and
the Chamber of Commerce.

:-))

Mike

Kay I have been doing a little bit of ferreting around. Have a quiet
word with your policeman friend :-))

Anthony 01-05-2003 12:32 AM

Beware of Gardener

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
in article , Mike at
wrote on 30/4/03 8:58 pm:
snip

Besides that, if you go to Trading Standards and report him, they may
already have a file on him, even if they haven't, they will start one!!

Doubt if he is a member, but have a look at various Associations such

as
the Federation of the Self Employed, The Guild of Master Craftsmen and
the Chamber of Commerce.

I don't want to add to Kay's burden but may I suggest changing your

locks?
Please.

?

What are you on about?

It could be that she is trying to warn Kay that if the 'conman' has been
allowed in the house, there might be reason to assume that 'the joint has
been cased'
and he may return. Hopefully he was never allowed access, but you can never
be too
careful with these scumbag conmen!

Anthony

K Bains 01-05-2003 07:08 AM

Beware of Gardener

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

You most certainly have got a case. He has your money he came to your
house and gave you a quote.

Besides that, if you go to Trading Standards and report him, they may
already have a file on him, even if they haven't, they will start one!!

Doubt if he is a member, but have a look at various Associations such as
the Federation of the Self Employed, The Guild of Master Craftsmen and
the Chamber of Commerce.

:-))

Mike

Kay I have been doing a little bit of ferreting around. Have a quiet
word with your policeman friend :-))

Mike

I most definitely will .... did you happen to find something on the company?
Thanks for your help.

Mike 01-05-2003 08:32 AM

Beware of Gardener

In article , Anthony anthonyhughes@61
4kingsway.freeserve.co.uk writes

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
in article , Mike at
wrote on 30/4/03 8:58 pm:
snip

[...]

Thank you. As she had replied to me I thought the posting was directed
to me.

One generally works it that way.

As it happens I have new locks as I have just had all windows and doors
done replaced, that's why it didn't make sense to me.

Thank you.

Sacha in future and to make things easier to read, please reply direct
to a person's posting.

Howard Neil 01-05-2003 09:44 AM

Beware of Gardener

Thanks ... I have a friend who is a Policeman and will certaintly mention
it
to him. It makes me so angry to think people could be so devious.

Kay,

This offence really needs to be reported formally and at the earliest
opportunity. By all means speak to your friend first but he may or may not
be in the best position to initiate the report himself (depending on his
current posting and force policies).

The best way of reporting it would probably be to walk into your local
police station but, if you find this off-putting (I know that some police
stations do not seem the friendliest of places), try telephoning them.
Different forces have different policies but some will allow a crime report
to be taken over the 'phone, some will be prepared to send an officer to
your home, some will insist that you visit the police station.

Regards

Howard Neil

Simon Avery 02-05-2003 04:56 PM

Beware of Gardener

"K Bains" wrote:

Hello K

KB I did think about reporting him, but no such
KB agreement/contract was signed,
KB I ain't got a case.

Yes you have. A verbal contract is still a contract in the UK.

Trading Standards for starters, then CAB for further info.

Don't get mad, get even... :)

Howard Neil 02-05-2003 09:22 PM

Beware of Gardener

Seems like the gardener guy has comitted theft, he agreed to do some work
and was paid in advance, yet work was never done. See the police, or am I
missing somehting here ?

Scraggles

You are very close. It is actually "obtaining property by deception",
contrary to Section 15 Theft Act 1968. This is very much a police matter
rather than trading standards.

Regards

Howard Neil