GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Saving begonias (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/194169-saving-begonias.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 24-10-2010 02:29 PM

Saving begonias

In message ,
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Some gardens just down the hill from us have turned black overnight,
apparently.

One light frost was enough to see off the top growth of a batch of
Dahlias on the allotment site. And several rows of runner beans are
looking unhappy.

(My one tomato plant hasn't turned black, but it was looking unhappy
even before there was a frost.)

The nasturtiums and sweet potatoes on the allotment, plus the courgettes/
pumpkins/squash plants have all turned into gooey mush. :-(

My neighbours have nasturtiums (Tropaeoleum majus) that are encroaching
on my garden - they've survived 3 frosts so far.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

No Name 24-10-2010 04:16 PM

Saving begonias

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
The nasturtiums and sweet potatoes on the allotment, plus the courgettes/
pumpkins/squash plants have all turned into gooey mush. :-(

My neighbours have nasturtiums (Tropaeoleum majus) that are encroaching
on my garden - they've survived 3 frosts so far.

Blimey, I wonder why mine did so badly, then? We've only had the one frost,
but it was quite a hard one ... but even so!
My nasturtiums were very very very dead. Squishy and gooey and very very
.... dead.

Christina Websell 26-10-2010 12:18 AM

Saving begonias

On 2010-10-22 10:22:47 +0100, stuart noble
said:

On 22/10/2010 08:06, FiveMins wrote:
snip

It's really great to get so much advice offered, thanks. I am just south
of Manchester, near Macclesfield, so I don't know how the frost we
experienced compared to London etc. I have cut off all the growth that
was killed by the frost& the remaining plants seem to be still 'OK'. I
am going to take the advice& let my plants dry out& if I find that I
have got tubers then I can look after them as suggested.

IME one overnight frost doesn't suddenly kill everything, especially if
it's followed by a sunny day.

Some gardens just down the hill from us have turned black overnight,
apparently.
--

We had a massive frost overnight 24-25 Oct (last night) even the parsley was
drooping this morning.

No Name 26-10-2010 02:26 PM

Saving begonias

Christina Websell wrote:
We had a massive frost overnight 24-25 Oct (last night) even the parsley was
drooping this morning.
It's very early to have such a sharp one and it's the 4th frost this month.

Very glad I made Nick help me bring the fucshias in last night now! And he
got the greenhouse heater on, too. Looks like it may be a chilly season
coming up. it's like we dropped straight from summer to winter and someone
stole autumn!