GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moss (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/194189-moss.html)

Roger Tonkin 23-10-2010 01:59 PM

Moss

Wife cleared a load of moss from the drive, but I just managed to stop
her throwing it onto the compost heap.

She asked why? What is the reason please!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 23-10-2010 02:56 PM

Moss

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-10-23 13:59:37 +0100, Roger Tonkin said:

Wife cleared a load of moss from the drive, but I just managed to
stop
her throwing it onto the compost heap.
She asked why? What is the reason please!

It will be useful in your winter hanging baskets? ;-) I suppose the
reason might be because the warmth and humidity of a compost heap will
cause the moss to increase.

My experience is that moss composts well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bob Hobden[_3_] 23-10-2010 03:25 PM

Moss

"Roger Tonkin" wrote ...

Wife cleared a load of moss from the drive, but I just managed to stop
her throwing it onto the compost heap.

She asked why? What is the reason please!

Other than you might want it for hanging baskets or potting orchids (if it's
sphagnum) I can see no reason why it should not be put on the compost heap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

kay 23-10-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin (Post 903543)
Wife cleared a load of moss from the drive, but I just managed to stop
her throwing it onto the compost heap.

She asked why? What is the reason please!

I can't think of any good reason. Once buried, the moss will not grow. I've never worried about putting it on the heap, and have never had any problems with it.

No Name 23-10-2010 06:37 PM

Moss

Sacha wrote:
She asked why? What is the reason please!

It will be useful in your winter hanging baskets? ;-) I suppose the
reason might be because the warmth and humidity of a compost heap will
cause the moss to increase.

I've used grass lawn for hanging baskets before, and thought it looked quite
nice.

someone 24-10-2010 09:32 PM

Moss

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Roger Tonkin" wrote ...

Wife cleared a load of moss from the drive, but I just managed to stop
her throwing it onto the compost heap.

She asked why? What is the reason please!

Other than you might want it for hanging baskets or potting orchids (if
it's sphagnum) I can see no reason why it should not be put on the compost
heap.

I use mine for hanging baskets and for potting my orchids. It also, when
dry, makes a handy artificial birds' nest to be hung up in a pot when some
baby bird or other falls out and the mother won't land on the ground. Hang
the pot in a tree with the chick in it and wait to see what happens.

someone

No Name 24-10-2010 11:25 PM

Moss

someone wrote:
I use mine for hanging baskets and for potting my orchids.

I've never tried repotting orchids, apart from one time with 'orchid
compost', which was a little bit of a failure. When you use moss to repot,
do you mix it with bark chips?