Old 30-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Overhanging trees Correction!!!!!!!!!

The definitive answer will be found here.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

Old 30-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Mark

Peter Crosland typed:

The definitive answer will be found here.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

Thanks for everyone's replays.
My father's garden backs on to a very large house/garden,
and he has two trees from it overhanging his greenhouse.
He has approached the owner and was told the trees were there before your
bungalow was built
so you will have to put up with them, and there was no way that either tree
was going to be pruned.
Unfortunately it's not possible to prune one of the trees without access to
the other persons garden,
And the trunk of the other tree actually overhangs my father's fence at an
angle so most of its canopy is in fact in my father's garden.
Im going down at the weekend to see if I can reason with the chap, wish me
luck.

Mark

Old 01-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement Mark uttered:

Peter Crosland typed:

The definitive answer will be found here.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

Thanks for everyone's replays.
My father's garden backs on to a very large house/garden,
and he has two trees from it overhanging his greenhouse.
He has approached the owner and was told the trees were there before your
bungalow was built
so you will have to put up with them, and there was no way that either tree
was going to be pruned.
Unfortunately it's not possible to prune one of the trees without access to
the other persons garden,
And the trunk of the other tree actually overhangs my father's fence at an
angle so most of its canopy is in fact in my father's garden.
Im going down at the weekend to see if I can reason with the chap, wish me
luck.

Mark

I had a similar problem, but from the other point of view. A neighbour cut
the top from my overhanging specimen tree, and ruined it. The tree was
mine, and he leaned about 2 ft into my proprty to cut the narrow trunk at
fence level. I ended up getting a solicitor to send a cease and desist
letter, and he ( unless his cat has a stanley knife ) promptly ringed the
bark one night, killing it within months. I gave up, purchased another tree
and planted it elsewhere. We now have a bitter feud over boundary lines.
Please be careful, as a snip of the shears can escalate into WWIII if you
are not careful....
Also, if the trees are old, you should check for any local preservation
orders..
Good luck !!
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's probably on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 01-05-2003, 07:56 PM
bnd777

Mark do remind the trees owner that despite his trees being there before
your fathers bungalow he is still liable for any damage they do
AKA Delaware Mansions case on www.hedgeline.org
and since the high hedge bill is at committee stage it should not be long
before it becomes law and then your father can call in the local authority
tree officer who can force the tree owner to act in a more sensitive manner
to your father

"Mark" wrote in message
Bigjon typed:

My father's garden backs on to a very large house/garden,
and he has two trees from it overhanging his greenhouse.

Im going down at the weekend to see if I can reason with the chap,
wish me luck.

I had a similar problem, but from the other point of view. A
neighbour cut the top from my overhanging specimen tree, and ruined
it.

Its easy to forget that theirs two sides to every argument.
And I sympathize with you, but the other person garden is
probably in excess of 4 acre my fathers is about 50x80 ft
The tree that's growing at an angle is a Sycamore and the other is a

Maple,
So not exactly specimen trees but I could understand their owner
being fond of them.( no TPOs either)
As it is my father is quite elderly and already been through WW2 once in

his
life.
so if this chap is adamant that he does not want them pruned
and is too selfish to realise that they are causing a nuisance to a
neighbour
then I will probably not persue it.
Thanks again for everyone's helpful comments, a nice change for Usenet.