GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Olive Tree (over winter) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/194435-re-olive-tree-over-winter.html)

David WE Roberts[_2_] 13-11-2010 07:01 PM

Olive Tree (over winter)

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Martin Brown wrote:
Can it see the light? Mine survived OK outside until last year when the
harsh winter did for it. UK winters are just too wet for them.

I should probably put mine in a greenhouse.
As with the fig - should I be removing the leftover olive fruits?

As with the fig fruits, I don't. But any developing olives which you do
have are unlikely to ripen, so probably, yes.

snip

My understanding is that figs will keep on trying to fruit all year round
but in the UK only the first crop is likely to develop fully.
So removing any second crop may or may not help, but they are unlikely to
ripen.

Olives only crop once a year and can take a long time to ripen.
You can pick them green in the autumn or in the UK you can leave them on the
tree into winter for them to turn black.
I did that last year and lost nearly all of them to the horrible weather.
This year I am in NZ so they will just have to sit on the tree then fall
off.

Our olive has survived so far outside in a large pot with mainly neglect.
Suffolk by the sea is normally a gentle winter, but last year was harsh.

Cheers

Dave R