GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/194512-rhubarb.html)

Roger Tonkin 20-11-2010 07:45 PM

Rhubarb

Doing a bit of clearing up, I've found one of the crowns of rhubarba is
begining to grow! It is just one bud, but it has a one inch stem on it,
with the first leaf begining to unfurl. It was covered with leaves and
other debris, so I presume it was kept warm during the recent frosts.

So I just leave it to sort itself out, or is there anything I can do?

Roger T

700ft up in Mid-Wales

harry 21-11-2010 10:41 AM

Rhubarb

On Nov 20, 7:45*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Doing a bit of clearing up, I've found one of the crowns of rhubarba is
begining to grow! It is just one bud, but it has a one inch stem on it,
with the first leaf begining to unfurl. It was covered with leaves and
other debris, so I presume it was kept warm during the recent frosts.

So I just leave it *to sort itself out, or is there anything I can do?

Roger T

700ft up in Mid-Wales

Best thing is to cover it up with straw or leaves. It will be OK,
don't worry.
Come the warm weather you can uncover it. I was in Wales at 1000ft.
Rhubarb struggles a bit at altitude.

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 21-11-2010 12:57 PM

Rhubarb

harry wrote:
On Nov 20, 7:45 pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Doing a bit of clearing up, I've found one of the crowns of rhubarba is
begining to grow! It is just one bud, but it has a one inch stem on it,
with the first leaf begining to unfurl. It was covered with leaves and
other debris, so I presume it was kept warm during the recent frosts.

So I just leave it to sort itself out, or is there anything I can do?

Roger T

700ft up in Mid-Wales

Best thing is to cover it up with straw or leaves. It will be OK,
don't worry.
Come the warm weather you can uncover it. I was in Wales at 1000ft.
Rhubarb struggles a bit at altitude.

Needs a little more thrust and a touch of flaps.

--
Rusty