Old 21-11-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default limits on garden waste as mulch?

Having recently purchased a mulcher, I'm wondering if there is a
consensus to whether certain waste, like rose prunings, shouldn't be
used as mulch around other plants as they might carry disease.

For example, I wouldn't put maple clippings as mulch, they might
transmit bacterial cankers or even verticillium. I'd probably not put
rose, and although I did use a lot of willow the other day after putting
it through the machine, now I wonder if that was wise. Things like
elder or hedge laurel, give me no qualms.

So, what garden waste would be unsafe to use ground up as mulch around
trees and shrubs?

Thanks,

-E

P.S. saw the first snowdrops poking up this afternoon!
Old 21-11-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/21/2010 01:58 PM, Janet wrote:
So, what garden waste would be unsafe to use ground up as mulch
around trees and shrubs?

Living in a phytophthora-affected area I wouldn't use shreddings from
any host species.

That sounds reasonable.

The other day I shredded a lot of bramble and didn't mulch with it on
the theory it might grow from tips.

I suppose my line will be drawn at anything that might carry a pathogen
or will regrow.

-E
Old 21-11-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 21, 12:42*pm, Emery Davis wrote:
Having recently purchased a mulcher, I'm wondering if there is a
consensus to whether certain waste, like rose prunings, shouldn't be
used as mulch around other plants as they might carry disease.

For example, I wouldn't put maple clippings as mulch, they might
transmit bacterial cankers or even verticillium. *I'd probably not put
rose, and although I did use a lot of willow the other day after putting
it through the machine, now I wonder if that was wise. *Things like
elder or hedge laurel, give me no qualms.

So, what garden waste would be unsafe to use ground up as mulch around
trees and shrubs?

Thanks,

-E

P.S. *saw the first snowdrops poking up this afternoon!

The world is full of diseases, fungii and bacterii. I don't worry
about it. Bung it all through the machine.
Old 21-11-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

.................................................. .......................

and then put it on the compost heap and leave it for a year :-))

THEN sift it and use it as a top mulch :-))

We have done this for ages and it works. :-))

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 21-11-2010, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day emery,

2 options i suppose, one don't shred material that is infected with
some disease or other that might be transmitted. most of us don't
experience that as we run healthy gardens.

two completely compost it adding in worms at the appropriate stage,
the use of hot composting will neutralize a lot of stuff and if you
aren't adding in material that is badly infected with a transmitable
issue then no worries.

we cut and drop our pruning and they get mulched over no issues have
ever surfaced, as we also mulch our spent vege's where they once grew.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:42:55 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 22-11-2010, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 22, 12:49*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 11/21/2010 01:58 PM, Janet wrote:
So, what garden waste would be unsafe to use ground up as mulch
around trees and shrubs?
Living in a phytophthora-affected area I wouldn't use shreddings from
*any host species.

That sounds reasonable.

The other day I shredded a lot of bramble and didn't mulch with it on
the theory it might grow from tips.

I suppose my line will be drawn at anything that might carry a pathogen
or will regrow.

-E

I use everything, except plants that die under suspicious circumstances!
I don't put rose shreddings under the roses and I have never known
anything grow from shreddings so I don't worry about that.
Unlike Mike I am too lazy to compost I just put it all straight on the
ground
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I find that what ever I put down as mulch the blackbirds move it
around so much that it is kept aireated and all theie scratching about
moves weeds as well.
David
Old 22-11-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 22, 2:28*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 22, 12:49*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

David- Hide quoted text -

My mulches grows wonderfull crops of poisonous looking toadstools.
Must be around ten different sorts.

Old 22-11-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 2:28 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 22, 12:49 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

............................................,..... ..........................

I spent all of an hour in the garden today :-((((

Got the shredder out, shredded quite a bit of stuff. Put it in the bottom of
the empty compost bin, (the contents had been spread as a mulch earlier in
the year) then turned the full bin into the empty :-))

What went through the shredder? Palm leaves, Blackberry stalks over 6 ft
long + other plants a 'non gardener' hasn't a clue as to what they are :-))
but the resultant shreddings went in towards next year's mulch :-))

Mike

Question. Should gardening be a 'Serious' thing? ;-) Sorry if I offend the
'experts' but I feel that nature will look after itself anyway ;-)))

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 22-11-2010, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/22/2010 01:49 PM, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I use everything, except plants that die under suspicious circumstances!
I don't put rose shreddings under the roses and I have never known
anything grow from shreddings so I don't worry about that.
Unlike Mike I am too lazy to compost I just put it all straight on the
ground

OK, thanks. That's good advice. I still think ivy berries are too
dangerous, but I will use the bramble. Certainly got plenty of that!

-E

Old 22-11-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/21/2010 08:09 PM, gardenlen wrote:
2 options i suppose, one don't shred material that is infected with
some disease or other that might be transmitted. most of us don't
experience that as we run healthy gardens.

Hello,

I wonder if down under you've less problems with disease because it's
dryer. "most of us don't experience" garden diseases seems like a
stretch in our climate!

-E
Old 22-11-2010, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/22/2010 11:43 PM, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 11/21/2010 08:09 PM, gardenlen wrote:
2 options i suppose, one don't shred material that is infected with
some disease or other that might be transmitted. most of us don't
experience that as we run healthy gardens.

[snip]
"most of us don't experience" garden diseases seems like a
stretch in our climate!

If anything, Australia is even more careful about biosecurity than
Britain; travellers between states are banned from carrying fruits
because of the risk of spreading disease to commerial crops, and certain
plants are banned from entry or dispersal in the wild.

Maybe the poster was just obsessed with garden hygiene... Not that
it helps much against a lot of what we have to fight! And of course, no
matter how careful we might be, many garden center plants are infected
with this or that.

In the UK, some highly infectious plant diseases such as
phytophtheras are notifiable, because of the risks they pose to native
ecology, historic gardens, and commercial growers. The disposal of
phytophthera-infected plants (and various invasive weeds) is heavily
regulated and legislated.

Bad stuff, sorry to hear you've got to deal with it. I had one case I
was pretty confident about, but difficult to diagnose with surety. The
(sadly rather expensive) plant in question was dug out and burned.

-E
Old 23-11-2010, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Unlike Mike I am too lazy to compost I just put it all straight on the
ground

Whilst I have in the past had the luxury of multiple large
compost bins, I currently have no room for them, so the
shreddings go straight on the ground, and this seems to be
working well.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK