GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Former Liquids in the Garden Shed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/194626-former-liquids-garden-shed.html)

Jake 29-11-2010 04:24 PM

Former Liquids in the Garden Shed

Though I've been checking the greenhouse regularly, I haven't thought
about going into the garden shed until today when I found every drop
of anything liquid frozen solid (glyphosate, compost wetting agent,
the lot). Some 5-litre containers of plant and lawn food that I bought
in a late season sale ready for next year were also solid and both of
those containers had split. they're now inside other containers so I
can hopefully recover the contents when they thaw out.

Moral - might be worth checking any containers of liquids you have to
make sure they're not frozen/broken and, maybe, put them onto trays or
something so there's no chance of them leaking where you don't want
them to.

I'm taking the approach of leaving mine in the cold to thaw gradually
when things warm up rather than bringing them suddenly into a warmer
climate and risking further container cracks.

Jake

harry 29-11-2010 05:31 PM

On Nov 29, 4:24*pm, Jake wrote:
[...]

Won't hurt them. Except PVA. That doesn't like being frozen up.

Gordon H[_3_] 29-11-2010 06:04 PM

Former Liquids in the Garden Shed

In message , Jake
writes
[...]

My daughter's partner came here on Saturday with 14 strawberry plants
and planted them in a bed I had prepared and loosened to about 4/5"
depth. They rang yesterday and said I'd better water them, at
which I laughed, but they weren't too badly frosted, so I grabbed the
half-full watering can out of the garage and tilted it cautiously
"fairly adjacent" to the plants. Nothing came out of the spout, the
water was frozen solid of course!

I poured some hot water in and watered in between the plants, as the sun
was on them.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply