Old 01-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Stuart Forbes

Default Vandalism/plants that eat stuff

Now.....If only I could get the plants that were in that Tom Cruise
film...
Minority report....

Some of those were real! At least some in the greenhouse, not the big vine
outside. They're carnivorous, called sarracenias (North American Pitcher
Plants), but sadly only eat insects, slugs and in some cases, frogs. Some
grow really well outdoors in the UK, I've got a garden full of them. I might
be wrong, but I think there were also some tropical pitcher plants, called
nepenthes in there as well.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 01-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Rick McGreal

"Stuart Forbes" wrote in
:

Now.....If only I could get the plants that were in that Tom Cruise
film... Minority report....

Some of those were real!

*Shock horror!*

At least some in the greenhouse, not the big vine outside.

Dang.....
What about the ones that sprayed him and knocked him out?
PLEASE tell me they are real!!! B-)

They're carnivorous, called sarracenias (North American Pitcher Plants),
but sadly only eat insects, slugs and in some cases, frogs. Some grow
really well outdoors in the UK, I've got a garden full of them.

I have 6 Insectivores.....
One is every room.....
We have a big problem with corn flies around here and these wonderful
plants can help tremendusly....
And they also help scare the pant of little kids!
MUHAHAHA!!!!! B-)

Old 01-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Stuart Forbes

Dang.....
What about the ones that sprayed him and knocked him out?
PLEASE tell me they are real!!! B-)

Not yet, but I have faith in new techniques of genetic engineering.

I have 6 Insectivores.....
One is every room.....
We have a big problem with corn flies around here and these wonderful
plants can help tremendusly....
And they also help scare the pant of little kids!
MUHAHAHA!!!!! B-)

Aren't they just the most fun plant around? I like nothing better on a hot
sunny afternoon than to sit by a mass of sarracenias and cobra lillies and
watch them catch flies, wasps, and everything else that falls for their
lures.

But then again, people say I'm strange.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 01-05-2003, 03:09 AM
Bart Bailey

On Thu, 1 May 2003 01:26:04 +0100, "Stuart Forbes"
wrote:

Dang.....
What about the ones that sprayed him and knocked him out?
PLEASE tell me they are real!!! B-)

Not yet, but I have faith in new techniques of genetic engineering.

I have 6 Insectivores.....
One is every room.....
We have a big problem with corn flies around here and these wonderful
plants can help tremendusly....
And they also help scare the pant of little kids!
MUHAHAHA!!!!! B-)

Aren't they just the most fun plant around? I like nothing better on a hot
sunny afternoon than to sit by a mass of sarracenias and cobra lillies and
watch them catch flies, wasps, and everything else that falls for their
lures.

But then again, people say I'm strange.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Is that as much fun as sitting out on the back porch on a warm summer
evening, sipping a cool one, and watching the bug zapper in action? ;-)

Bart
Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:57:58 -0700, Bart Bailey wrote:

Is that as much fun as sitting out on the back porch on a warm
summer evening, sipping a cool one, and watching the bug zapper in
action? ;-)

Probably more, you don't have to cover your drink to stop bits of
exploding fly landing in it.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 01-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Stuart Forbes

Is that as much fun as sitting out on the back porch on a warm summer
evening, sipping a cool one, and watching the bug zapper in action? ;-)

Bart

Much more fun! A sarracenia takes time to catch its prey. Its like a big
open mouth that just sits there waiting for something to fall in, with drug
laced nectar dripping from it to help the insect on its way. It can be like
watching a nature documentary, the prey slowly being lured to its death by
the hunter as it climbs the tube to its death above. The anticipation is
torture sometimes! I've watched insects for over an hour before they've
staggered, half drunk on nectar, into the trap. Not as instantly gratifying,
but far more fulfulling.

Comments about too much time on my hands, need a life/girlfriend/hobby etc,
have all been heard before ;-)

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 01-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Bart Bailey

On Thu, 01 May 2003 07:55:56 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:57:58 -0700, Bart Bailey wrote:

Is that as much fun as sitting out on the back porch on a warm
summer evening, sipping a cool one, and watching the bug zapper in
action? ;-)

Probably more, you don't have to cover your drink to stop bits of
exploding fly landing in it.

You don't sit under it.
Much better view from a slight distance, besides there's seldom any
explosion effect, any falling matter is either ashes or still glowing.

Bart
Old 02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Stuart Forbes

The fun with these things is endless. Check out these photos from a
carnivorous plant forum:

http://www.cpukforum.com/cgi-bin/cut...19&thread=2648

Wasps can fight back!

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Bart Bailey

On Fri, 2 May 2003 18:37:28 +0100, "Stuart Forbes"
wrote:

The fun with these things is endless. Check out these photos from a
carnivorous plant forum:

http://www.cpukforum.com/cgi-bin/cut...19&thread=2648

Wasps can fight back!

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

That's an excellent display of the countervailing actions of nature,
however,
I'd like to see it's charred ass gnaw a freedom hole in a 5600 volt
electrode grid ;-)

Bart

Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Stuart Forbes

That's an excellent display of the countervailing actions of nature,
however,
I'd like to see it's charred ass gnaw a freedom hole in a 5600 volt
electrode grid ;-)

You'd have enjoyed the time a wasp, in trying to bite its way out, made a
hole just big enough for its head, and then got its head stuck in the hole.
There was this little wasp face sticking out the side of my plant, and it
was going nowhere fast! Its the only time I've ever let a wasp get within a
few inches of my face for any length of time. I decided to be merciful, and
end it swiftly for it, though.

You also get the fun of listening to their buzzing getting quieter and
quieter until they die. They start off really aggressive, with the trap
twitching like crazy, but slowly but surely, they start to tire...

Go on, get yourself a Sarracenia, nature's way of giving insects a slow,
painful death!

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland