GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant a tree funding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/194656-plant-tree-funding.html)

mogga 02-12-2010 01:04 PM

Plant a tree funding

Fruit tree types
The Committee will fund projects that include apple and pear varieties
only. No other fruit types will be eligible for consideration.

http://www.treecouncil.org.uk/grants/community-trees

Why?
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Bob Hobden 02-12-2010 01:54 PM

Plant a tree funding

"mogga" wrote ...

Fruit tree types
The Committee will fund projects that include apple and pear varieties
only. No other fruit types will be eligible for consideration.

http://www.treecouncil.org.uk/grants/community-trees

Why?

Seems strange, no cherry trees, plum trees, damsons, greengages allowed,
wonder why?
I also note that you must keep the trees safe for 5 years, how the hell do
you guarantee that if it's a community project. Somehow I'm thinking they
don't live in the real world, a significant number of the trees planted in a
new local Park have been damaged/destroyed/pulled up.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

kay 02-12-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 906582)
"mogga" wrote ...

Fruit tree types
The Committee will fund projects that include apple and pear varieties
only. No other fruit types will be eligible for consideration.

Community Trees | The Tree Council

Why?

Seems strange, no cherry trees, plum trees, damsons, greengages allowed,
wonder why?

The implication is that they feel apples and pears are easier to look after
Quote:

I also note that you must keep the trees safe for 5 years, how the hell do
you guarantee that if it's a community project. Somehow I'm thinking they
don't live in the real world, a significant number of the trees planted in a
new local Park have been damaged/destroyed/pulled up.
-
I think the fact they have that stipulation shows they *do* live in the real world and understand such things can happen. In practice, I suspect most of the planting will be within school grounds.