Old 10-01-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frustrated rookies like me.

Is it time that the BBC aired a prog. that took us step by step with an
idiot guide to growing veg. in our gardens, season by season?
Not only sowing and harvesting, but a reliable prog that can run 52 weeks
to be comprehensive if that is the right word, to air out the many problems
we come across.
Some in depth topics I would like in a TV prog.
Composting.
Manure, and how to get it. And be safe.
All year round crops.(spring cabbage, summer, winter as an example)
PESTS and DISEASES.(urrggh)
Pruning of fruit trees.
Instruction of all types ie: Brassicas, alliums, legumes etc.

I am sure that I am not the only beginner who has failed because of the
lack of experience and knowledge.
There are of course some things in the garden I am confident with but that
is by the by.

On the other hand it might be just me who just havn't got the green fingers
despite the effort and money I put in.
Baz
Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

Quite agree Baz

If you look at the title of this newsgroup, United Kingdom, (That's us)
Recreation, (That's pleasure and past time) Gardening, (That's what it is
all about and your question and suggestion), you will find after reading
many of the postings, that you are 'supposed' to know all the answers BEFORE
coming on here. AND if you DO have a question which to you and many others
is 'basic', you are sent to the faq's. Now you are 'supposed' to know that
there are the 'frequently asked questions' so read those first and THEN dare
to step into urg. urg is a clique and until you know all there is to know,
'you are an outsider mate'

What a pity urg does not tolerate newcomers and is the domain of those who
use it as their own public newsgroup and post publicly what should be by
email.

As you will no doubt know Baz I am kill filed, so this will fall on stony
ground .................................................. ... NOT

Write to the BBC, OTHERS DO, so you might get what you seek ;-)

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

As you will no doubt know Baz I am kill filed, so this will fall on
stony ground .................................................. ... NOT

Write to the BBC, OTHERS DO, so you might get what you seek ;-)

Mike

You are not killfiled by me!
Writing to the BBC is futile. As in a waste of a stamp and the time taken
to write the letter.
In a couple of years nobody and no-one will have the burden of the anual
migration of hard earned cash to the overpaid overexposed cretinous trash
we call celeberities.
But they will still broadcast, not as we know it now. They will have to
earn the cash and not under the hood of the law.

Baz

Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 10, 5:45*pm, Baz wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote :

As you will no doubt know Baz I am kill filed, so this will fall on
stony ground .................................................. ... NOT

Write to the BBC, OTHERS DO, so you might get what you seek ;-)

Mike

You are not killfiled by me!
Writing to the BBC is futile. As in a waste of a stamp and the time taken
to write the letter.
In a couple of years nobody and no-one will have the burden of the anual
migration of hard earned cash to the overpaid overexposed cretinous trash
we call celeberities.
But they will still broadcast, not as we know it now. They will have to
earn the cash and not under the hood of the law.

Baz

Gardening is like posting messages to groups, sometimes you have to
keep trying, and nothing comes up then other times you get 2 or 3 when
you expect just one.
The answer is trial and error and try to learn from your mistakes.
Look at other peoples gardens, ask questions but dont always expect to
get the same results as others.
Where I lived a few years ago my next door neighbourt grew Exhibition
onions, just over the hedge I would plant a pound of sets and get back
half a pound of onions, the difference was he had been improving his
soil for 30 or 40 years, but I could grow cabbage and letuce, and good
tomatoes in the glass house.
I couldn't understand why everyone in that part of Wales grew their
veg in raised beds till I found out just how wet the ground could get.
The raised beds provided drainage and the soil wasn't walked on.
The problem with having a week by week prog. for new gardeners would
be where would you site it. Where ever you chose there would be a
majority of gardeners for whome it would be wrong, either to early to
do the jobs, or to late, as the weather etc varies from one part of
the country to another,
Here near Swansea we have been having an almost early spring with
sunshine and some rain but almost frost free, where as just 40 or so
miles to the East they have been having more snow, as have those 20
miles North of us.
If in doubt just ask questions, look things up on google etc, then if
you can't work out what is being said come back and see if someone can
sort it out for you,
David
Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 10, 4:31*pm, Baz wrote:
Is it time that the BBC aired a prog. that took us step by step with an
idiot guide to growing veg. in our gardens, season by season?\snip\

On the other hand it might be just me who just havn't got the green fingers
despite the effort and money I put in.
Baz

There used to be such a programme but alas, the presenter died about
fourteen years ago. His name was Geoff Hamilton. He was the
artesan's gardener and in my opinion the best ever presenter of
Gardener's World. He did exactly what you are asking for but all good
things come to an end.

I have gardened for forty years on three different continents and
still get things wrong. My advice to you would be to speak to local
gardeners - they will be very happy to advise you what to plant for
your particular area; not all things grow equally well in all areas.
They will also tell you the best times to plant - again, every area
has different climates and different planting/harvesting times. Other
people have advised you to get books - in my opinion very sound advice
it is too. Have a chat and a read and you will gradually become an
expert, even if you do still get occasional failures. Gardening
should be fun and with a bit of know-how it will become fun before too
long.

Hope this helps a wee bitty
Compo in Caithness.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Writing to the BBC is futile. As in a waste of a stamp and the time taken
to write the letter.

Use the BBC feedback section on the website - there is an obligation to
reply (although I'm not sure how much effort they have to put into the
reply) within a certain amount of time, so the chances are that you will get
your view heard by /someone/, even if it turns out not to be quite the right
person.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Shoving alan Titmarsh sounds good to me, but not to anywhere as comfortable
as a sofa.

On 2011-01-10 23:31:03 +0000, said:

Baz wrote:
Writing to the BBC is futile. As in a waste of a stamp and the time
taken
to write the letter.

Use the BBC feedback section on the website - there is an obligation to
reply (although I'm not sure how much effort they have to put into the
reply) within a certain amount of time, so the chances are that you will
get
your view heard by /someone/, even if it turns out not to be quite the
right
person.

Actually, writing in does have an effect. If you remember both the RHS
and the BBC acknowledged there had been a lot of moans about the way e.g.
Chelsea was presented with far too many celeb faces and joking around. It
did change and improved for the better with more straightforward and
'serious' presenting and no more Diarmuid Gavin interrupting and shoving
Alan Titchmarsh around on a sofa!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Frustrated rookies like me. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 18 14-01-2011 12:52 PM
Tom Brady Insert cards, Game-Used Jerseys, Rookies+++ www.SMCCI.com Ponds 0 25-12-2007 10:57 PM
Frustrated bird Padraig Garden Photos 3 02-05-2007 09:08 PM
Newbie and frustrated ebruvold Ponds 29 20-03-2005 02:47 AM
What should I do to keep my water clear? FRUSTRATED...? Lava Plays Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 01-05-2003 05:56 PM