GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frustrated rookies like me. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195199-frustrated-rookies-like-me.html)

Dave Hill 13-01-2011 02:15 PM

Frustrated rookies like me.

On Jan 13, 1:53*pm, Baz wrote:
Jake wrote :

Once again, Jake thank you.

I do have a screen reader, but not use the built in one with Microsoft.
I am using "Windows Eyes" from a charity which realises my disability.
It still takes me an age to write a response to a topic with all the
spellchecks, halts and examination of content, and then go back re-examine
then finally send the text.
I also qualify for audio books, but they are out of date with our topic as
soon as they are published. ie: a new pest not covered within the book.

If I did not use the spellchecker you would not be able to read my posts,
and even when I do use it, it can nag me and give me an alternative but
sounds the same. so I have to use the photographic part of my mind to
figure out which one. eg: luck and look(2 completely different), band and
banned, if you see what I mean.

When I was at school we did not have this understanding or the technology
to do all of this. I was labelled a dunce and was too lazy to learn by my
teachers *In fairness to them they had no idea of disability.

Cheers
Baz

I don't know if you can get tape magazines from TNAUK,
http://www.tnauk.org.uk/pdf/catalogue_2009.pdf
They do several of the most popular gardening magazines
David

kay 13-01-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] (Post 909932)

But this person today is not allowed to manage their own learning because
only the chosen few are legalally allowed to practice such things. In
other words we can't spray our crops with products the commercial grower
can, and therefore are bound to failure in the eradication of alien
species in our locale.

What we do have, though, is the ability to grow small batches of crops instead of great monocultures that are very susceptible to pests, we have time to look at things, spot early signs and take quick action, the ability to grow varieties for pest resistance rather than for a large yield all ready to crop at the same time.

This winter has been bad compared with what we've been used to recently. It's also been bad compared with 30/40/50 years ago in that the settled snow came before christmas and not after (well, I don't know about that bit - we may get it after as well ;-) ). Even in the greenhouse my salad crops have gone into a complete sulk.

If you're growing to save on household bills, there's a lot to be said for concentrating on fruit rather than veg - it tends to be more forgiving, being perennial rather than annual.

Jake 14-01-2011 11:52 AM

Frustrated rookies like me.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:53:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Have a look at Dave Hill's separate thread on "Video Projects". II've
been trying to think where I'd seen a host of easy to swallow video
tutorials on things that could well answer some of your needs. Silly
me - was staring me in the face and I couldn't see it. So thanks Dave.