Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toby Buckland speaks of Gardeners' World pain

TV presenter Toby Buckland has told how he feels "let-down and
humiliated" at being axed from Gardeners' World by the BBC

http://www.hortweek.com/news/bulleti...article/104840
3/?DCMP=EMC-CONGardenRetailNews

(You get some interesting news via this website at times!)

Some of the comments esp. about Joe Swift are a bit caustic!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 18:30:48 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

TV presenter Toby Buckland has told how he feels "let-down and
humiliated" at being axed from Gardeners' World by the BBC

Very Interesting, and nice to see sensible comments (well mostly
sensible) from the readers, agree totally with Dominic Elsom the first
poster.
There is a place for all the presentators , even it would seem, Joe!

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

TV presenter Toby Buckland has told how he feels "let-down and
humiliated" at being axed from Gardeners' World by the BBC

Good one Janet. I've left this comment:

"It's not so much about presenters, as about producers. I'm so so sick
of watching fancy London-based presenters "knocking up" something which
probably cost hundreds; or changing a bed with dozens of plants ...which
probably cost hundreds! The complete antithesis of gardening!
My suggestion: GW should have a "Red Button" option, which gives you a
count-up of the cash being spent as the presenter carries out his latest
make-over."

Toby was a nice bloke. No doubt Monty is too, but he belongs to a
different social class (the Metro-Professional class) to mine, and to
that of 90% of the population. (As do the flaming producers!)

*Furthermore* while I'm on ranting there should be another Red Button
option where we can watch how many "researchers" spent how long
pre-digging the plots for the presenters! Tchah!

J.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 11, 7:57*pm, Another John wrote:
In article ,
*Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

So much "Compost" has been produced by this change that many a garden
could be 3 ft deep in the stuff.
We should remember (And so should the producers) that we are having a
change of presenter, that should be the person who introduces the
items and the other people taking part in the "Show" and who holds the
show together.
Not the person who does the whole thing by himself, and who's views
are the only ones aired.
If I had a contract that was renewed year by year I'd be ****ed off if
it wasn't renewed just when I thought I had dug myself a nice little
earner for the next few years.
When someone goes off on long term sick, there is always the chance
they will come back when they are fit enough to resume their old job.
Lets hope wer see the end of the Bulsh (as my mother used to call it)
and give the prog a chance to prove itself one way or another.

David Hill
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

TV presenter Toby Buckland has told how he feels "let-down and
humiliated" at being axed from Gardeners' World by the BBC

http://www.hortweek.com/news/bulleti...article/104840

3/?DCMP=EMC-CONGardenRetailNews

(You get some interesting news via this website at times!)

Some of the comments esp. about Joe Swift are a bit caustic!

Accusing the BBC of ageism seems to work.

Cynic! ;-)

If Toby wants a job for life, he shouldn't be in showbiz.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Sacha wrote:

I agree. Trevor McDonald is heading the interesting Tour of the Med
series. It's hard to imagine a woman of the same age and grizzled
hair being allowed to do the same!

Joanna Lumley's Nile?
http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/peoplea.../joannalumley/

OK, so she's a few years younger than Sir Trev and perhaps the grizzled
hair isn't quite the same...

--
Chris
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Sacha wrote:

We were watching one of the tv news channels
the other night and the female presenter looked as if she was
straight off American tv - sharp little suit, immaculate make up but
just a bit too much of it and a hairstyle that didn't move when she
did. It was uncanny and rather alarming to think this might be a
trend we're heading for. I do hope not!

I was in the US last year, and their news reporters, both in studio and
on location all seem to be clones of the same person.

Sadly, not only are we heading that way, I think we're almost there.
Nearly all of the female newsreaders that come to mind are "of a type",
although that could be just it's only those that stick )

--
Chris
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:41:40 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Don't get me wrong. She did the right thing. I am sure her successor is
pleased
with the result too. Too many very competent female TV presenters have
been
discarded to make way for young bimbos.

I agree. Trevor McDonald is heading the interesting Tour of the Med
series. It's hard to imagine a woman of the same age and grizzled hair
being allowed to do the same!

Not to mention bloody Bruce Forsythe.

Martin, by the tone of your posting, are you saying he should be 'swinging'?

In which sense, the old or the new? I favour the old :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

;-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

And I don't understand this problem with Monty Don quite honestly,
especially on a class basis. Class has nothing to do with gardening
in terms of getting your hands dirty and doing the work. Some of the
keenest gardeners I know are what you would disdain as 'posh', I
suspect and they're never happier than when bums up in the borders! I
think it's worth remembering that without some of the rich owners of
large gardens, we wouldn't have half the plants available to us that
there are now because those people paid for plant hunters' expeditions
and those plants may well be represented in your garden, in some way,
now.
I think there's a lot of truth in this (and I like Monty Don too). But I can understand the other side too. For example, there were a couple of articles in the Garden a year or so back about packets of mixed flower seeds. The general view, both of the original article and of the comments selected for publication, was that mixed packets are naff, that flowers look better in drifts of one colour, and that iff you want a variety, you should separate packets of the colours of your choice.

Well, that's all very fine in a large garden (and I agree with it entirely in that context). But if you have a pocket handkerchief garden, the situation is very different. I could make a very tasteful bed in a selection of two or three related tints. But that would be the only colour effect in my garden, and I would have a a lot of left over seeds from my two or three packets. If I get a mixed packet, then I look at every plant individually, and I can spend half an hour going round my garden rather than seeing it all in one glance.

I can almost hear the shudders from here as you all imagine a garish totally tasteless hotchpotch! But the point I'm making is that, although you can draw inspiration from anywhere, if your source of inspiration is always recommending to you things that are really only practicable in a much larger garden, you can start to feel "I don't really belong here".
__________________

Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
wrote:

[lots, ending with..]

All fair points, Sacha. My wife agrees with you.

But I still want that Red Button Cash-Counter option for GW.

J.
(Not a snob, btw.)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote
'Mike' wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

Don't get me wrong. She did the right thing. I am sure her successor is
pleased
with the result too. Too many very competent female TV presenters have
been
discarded to make way for young bimbos.

I agree. Trevor McDonald is heading the interesting Tour of the Med
series. It's hard to imagine a woman of the same age and grizzled hair
being allowed to do the same!

Not to mention bloody Bruce Forsythe.

Martin, by the tone of your posting, are you saying he should be
'swinging'?

In which sense, the old or the new? I favour the old :-)

I'm with you on that one. Seconded. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I think Anne Widdecombe's reception on Strictly may have given all
TV broadcasters pause for thought. AW represents the assertive,
energetic, my way or no way, what you see is what you get, retired baby
boomer who refutes the youthful media-stereotype ideal image.
Up to a point. Remember, she too had a makeover. It wasn't till after she got rid of the pudding bowl haircut that people suddenly wanted her on TV programmes and she ceased being 100% a figure of fun.
__________________
Old 13-01-2011, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

It would appear you are all tooooooooooooooooooooooo young to remember Bruce
Forsyth coming on stage, looking out into the audience, sticking a thumb up
and with a sweeping movement of his arm left to right say 'Swinging' with
that grin on his face ;-}

I think you will find that it was Norman Vaughan, who followed in
Bruce Forsyth's footsteps on "Sunday Night at the London
Palladium", who used that catch phrase.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK