GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rain, Rain, Rain (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195215-rain-rain-rain.html)

Dave Hill 12-01-2011 02:31 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

hugh 12-01-2011 04:00 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

According to the BBC snow falls in inches rain falls in mm :-)
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Baz[_3_] 12-01-2011 04:57 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

Dave Hill wrote in news:26e7dad1-9341-43fd-
:

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

If there is one thing to be sure of it is that we are going to continue
getting rotten weather, at least here in N.lincs.
A reliable indication here is when the gulls come inland as they have been
for months now. I have nver seen anything like it before! Droppings like
bombs, and smelly too. On the rare occasions we can put the washing outside
on the washing line they swoop as if to take some and realise its not food,
drop a load of white and brown goo then squawk like mayhem and off they go
until the next frenzy. I really am surprised this has not been in the news,
it's a bit like one of Hitchccks movies at times.

Better times are just round the corner.
Baz

DiMa 12-01-2011 09:38 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

If you think that is heavy rain, have a look at the Queensland rainfall of
the last two weeks.

I believe the Australia wide drought has ended.

--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Dave Hill 13-01-2011 09:38 AM

Rain, Rain, Rain

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David- Hide quoted text -

Well another wet day over with another 1 1/4 inches added, not as much
as forecast.
I was supprised to hear a thrush singing yesterday afternoon despite
the rain, and this morning we have quite a few birds starting to warm
up for the dawn chorus.
David Hill

Dave Hill 13-01-2011 12:16 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David- Hide quoted text -

Well another wet day over with another 1 1/4 inches added, not as much
as forecast.
I was supprised to hear a thrush singing yesterday afternoon despite
the rain, and this morning we have quite a few birds starting to warm
up for the dawn chorus.
David Hill

It's much warmer here, though wet and gloomy. *However, the birds seem
quite flirtatious and so do the two squirrels I saw scampering up our
young mulberry tree this morning. *Two pairs of blackbirds were
slugging it out on the front lawn, too. *It's quite a large lawn so why
they have to try to forage and fight within 6' of each other, or less,
I do not know!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Why will 2 women fight over one item in a sale when they are in a shop
full of clothes?

'Mike'[_4_] 13-01-2011 12:49 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

On 2011-01-13 09:38:52 +0000, Dave Hill

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

.................................................. ...................................

I expect they were two males exercising their territorial rights :-)

Seen it dozens of times

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Pam Moore[_2_] 13-01-2011 01:32 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:31:28 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

We may bemoan the rain and lackof sunshine, but our reservoir, Chew
Valley Lake is very low, much lower than it has been for several years
even in so-called summer. We do meed the rain here.
I think you have had more in S Wales, David.

Pam in Bristol

hugh 13-01-2011 07:44 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

In message , Pam Moore
writes

wrote:

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

We may bemoan the rain and lackof sunshine, but our reservoir, Chew
Valley Lake is very low, much lower than it has been for several years
even in so-called summer. We do meed the rain here.
I think you have had more in S Wales, David.

Pam in Bristol

It's been a very dry year overall. We've been recording rainfall etc as
a hobby for the last 15 years and this is by far the driest.

United Utilities (AKA north West Water) are talking about hose pipe ban
shortly if the lakes and reservoirs don't fill up.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Dave Hill 14-01-2011 09:20 AM

Rain, Rain, Rain

On Jan 13, 7:44*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Pam Moore
writes

wrote:

[...]

common sense." Buddha- Hide quoted text -

In this part of Wales we realy do get more than our fair share of
rain, Swansea is the wetest city in the UK http://www.welshicons.org.uk/html/water.php,
We are 400 ft above Swansea and get a lot more rain as the clouds are
lifted over us to over 1000 ft so we get a lot of extra rain
yesterday was just 0.95 inches.
When I first moved here we had around 60 inches a year then around 10
years ago we went up to 80 inches and have stayed around that ever
since.
David Hill

Pete[_9_] 14-01-2011 10:12 AM

Rain, Rain, Rain

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
In this part of Wales we realy do get more than our fair share of
rain, Swansea is the wetest city in the UK
http://www.welshicons.org.uk/html/water.php,
We are 400 ft above Swansea and get a lot more rain as the clouds are
lifted over us to over 1000 ft so we get a lot of extra rain
yesterday was just 0.95 inches.
When I first moved here we had around 60 inches a year then around 10
years ago we went up to 80 inches and have stayed around that ever
since.
David Hill

Which leads me nicely to my favourite hobby-horse.

There is more than enough rainwater catchment in the UK to satisfy demand.
We have a gas grid and a power grid - but very short- sightedly, no water
grid.

We have also not invested enough in additional water storage facilities.

Too expensive - some would argue, but I would disagree.

There will certainly come a time when surplus water will be economically
exportable.
Financial returns from this, would go someway towards recompensing the grid
costs.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

'Mike'[_4_] 14-01-2011 10:46 AM

Rain, Rain, Rain

"Pete" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Thought the same thing many many times.

And as more rain falls in the North than the South, pumping will not be
required as it is all downhill ;-}

hugh 14-01-2011 05:13 PM

Rain, Rain, Rain

In message , Pete
writes
There is more than enough rainwater catchment in the UK to satisfy demand.
We have a gas grid and a power grid - but very short- sightedly, no
water grid.

Ah the benefits of hindsight.
There's never been sufficiently large enough problem top justify the
expenditure. Maybe the economic balance is beginning to change. Building
a water grid is much more expensive and difficult than either an
electric or gas grid. There was an interesting program on TV recently on
the history of the national electricity grid. I remember attending a
Faraday lecture on the subject back in the early 60s.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha